News TSMC Reportedly Overpowers Apple in Negotiations Over Price Increases

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KyaraM

Admirable
The numbers were actually from the US.

You're clearly interested in twisting reality for most Android owners into something about a specific device.

I'll just say you use anything without solid OS support and security patches in this day and age for the things people typically use their phones for, you're asking to lose everything to a hacker. For iPhones, that's 5 years from release. For Android.. it's whatever some guy on an internet forum told you, until it isn't...
And your own article agrees with Google that the missing security patches, when there even are any missing, are not really an issue and mostly relevant on cheap phones. That's the thing. Don't buy overpriced crap, but also don't buy bottom of the barrel. I just checked my own phone with that app from the article. It got every single security patch up to the point it is supposed to have them. EDIT: Also, that article is from April 2018, so over four years old. Please provide proof that the issue still persists./EDIT OVER

About the claim that Android users switch their phones more often, I can't observe that at all from my personal surrounding. All the Android phones I know are 2+ years old, and my own Galaxy S20 is actually the youngest of the bunch sitting at around 2 years. It replaced a Galaxy S7, which I would have used longer had it not started to break down after falling on asphalt one too many times. My Galaxy S5e tablet is also still running happily and getting updates, and that one is older than my phone; actually, I really should install the latest security update. This one is also pretty far from being a top model by any means. Meanwhile, I got all that for less money than Apple asks for, especially considering several factors. First, it is a model that was originally intended for a neighboring EU country. These are completely legal and most of the time quite a bit cheaper than those intended for the German market directly. Second, I waited a few months before purchase. That way, I got the first price drop. All that led to me getting the phone for about 200 bucks less than the MSRP.

Meanwhile, the couple iPhone owners I know, like my own brother, actually are those who buy the latest and greatest year over year, blasting thousands of euros for absolutely nothing. In his case it's especially bad since he did that even while barely being able to feed his kids. That is very concerning behavior I didn't observe in any of my Android-owning relatives or friends.

Last edited:

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
And your own article agrees with Google that the missing security patches, when there even are any missing, are not really an issue and mostly relevant on cheap phones. That's the thing. Don't buy overpriced crap, but also don't buy bottom of the barrel. I just checked my own phone with that app from the article. It got every single security patch up to the point it is supposed to have them. EDIT: Also, that article is from April 2018, so over four years old. Please provide proof that the issue still persists./EDIT OVER

About the claim that Android users switch their phones more often, I can't observe that at all from my personal surrounding. All the Android phones I know are 2+ years old, and my own Galaxy S20 is actually the youngest of the bunch sitting at around 2 years. It replaced a Galaxy S7, which I would have used longer had it not started to break down after falling on asphalt one too many times. My Galaxy S5e tablet is also still running happily and getting updates, and that one is older than my phone; actually, I really should install the latest security update. This one is also pretty far from being a top model by any means. Meanwhile, I got all that for less money than Apple asks for, especially considering several factors. First, it is a model that was originally intended for a neighboring EU country. These are completely legal and most of the time quite a bit cheaper than those intended for the German market directly. Second, I waited a few months before purchase. That way, I got the first price drop. All that led to me getting the phone for about 200 bucks less than the MSRP.

Meanwhile, the couple iPhone owners I know, like my own brother, actually are those who buy the latest and greatest year over year, blasting thousands of euros for absolutely nothing. In his case it's especially bad since he did that even while barely being able to feed his kids. That is very concerning behavior I didn't observe in any of my Android-owning relatives or friends.

Samsung has the best upgrade / patch setup in the Android world. But even Samsung, on lower end phone lines, stops at 3 years. Their top end gets new Android versions for 4 years, patches for 5.

Like I said I used to be on Android, for years. This kind of industry-wide chaotic inconsistency, along with increasingly having sensitive personal and financial information on my phone, is why I dropped it.

See below (time is just for security patches).

I am just focusing on security patches. Not OS updates. Different subject, I consider one mandatory for my phone while the other is a 'nice to have'.

Google Pixel : 3 years for models prior to Pixel 6/2021, 5 years after 2021

From 2016 to mid-2021, Google had a phone update policy for Pixels that was not too bad: three years of upgrades and patches. This was better than most other companies, and Google’s consistency was very impressive. ...In 2021, with the launch of the Google Pixel 6 series, the company augmented its policy. The Pixel 6 series will see three upgrades and five years of patches.

HMD Global (Nokia) : 3 years

Thankfully, the company recently posted a page on its website to help people determine how long their phone will receive patches. A phone like the G20, for example, will receive three years of security updates through June 2024.

Honor : 2 years

Since that all happened, Honor has committed to the standard phone update policy for most of its phones: two years of upgrades and patches. Even its most recent flagship — the Honor Magic 4 Pro — sticks with this promise, despite its high price.

Motorola : 2 years

Motorola has a problematic past when it comes to phone updates. When it launched the premium Motorola Edge series in 2020, for example, it promised just one Android upgrade and two years of patches. After public outcry (including from Android Authority), it amended its promise to two upgrades and two years of patches.

OnePlus : 2 years

However, when you step down to the mid-range Nord series, you’ll see two years of Android updates and a third year of security updates. Finally, when you step down again to the budget-tier Nord N series — including the Nord N20 and Nord N200 — you’ll only get one upgrade and two years of security patches.

Oppo : 3 years

At the top end, Oppo’s Find X series will see three upgrades and four years of security patches. The mid-range Oppo F, K, Reno, and Find Lite/Neo series will see two upgrades and four years of patches. Finally, some of the budget Oppo A series phones will see one Android upgrade and three years of patches.

Poco : Probably 2 years, but wishy-washy

Xiaomi sub-brand Poco, when asked, offered only a brief statement about its plans to support its smartphones over time. “Currently, the Android updates and security patches cycles of our devices are in accordance with our agreements with Google and comply with corresponding policies.”
What does this mean? Essentially, Poco is passing the buck. Google has no set rule on how long manufacturers must issue phone updates, nor how regularly they should come. Google’s suggested schedule is a minimum of two years — but the company doesn’t do anything to enforce this.

Realme : 2 years

“I think we are still sticking to…two years of [upgrades] and the regular security patch updates for three years,” Realme CEO Madhav Sheth told us in an interview.

Samsung : 5 years on flagships, 3 years on lesser models

Samsung is the undisputed king of Android updates...
Samsung’s top-tier update promise trumps even Google’s, with four years of upgrades and five years of security patches. ... Older phones and cheaper phones from the brand get a less extensive promise of three years of upgrades and patches.

Sony : 2 years

• The majority of Sony phones come with two upgrades and two years of patches. The newest Xperia 1 IV is the only exception as it comes with two upgrades and three years of patches.

TCL : 2 years

• TCL changes its commitments depending on the phone’s price. However, you shouldn’t expect anything more than two years of support, with some devices only seeing one upgrade in that time.

Vivo : 3 years for Vivo X, uncommitted on other models

• Vivo has no stated software support commitment for the majority of its phones. The only exception is the latest Vivo X series, but even then there are a whole lot of caveats.

jasonf2

Distinguished
What does it cost you when you can’t run your own military? Your argument on costs is weak. What’s the cost of a completely broken economy, and a nation in ruin?

as long as elite globalists run the world this is what we’re going to get and it’s only going to get worse.
Economics are based on observation. They don't dictate behavior. The hidden costs that you mention while certainly valid have not changed purchasing behavior. When the global market coupled with China in the 1980's the reduced price of imported goods made domestically produced goods too expensive to produce. Often times Unions get blasted for this but the bigger reality was that even the minimum wage of most developed nations wouldn't have came close to China's labor costs. That is before the currency manipulation. Companies that tried to compete on that level became sticker brands that were bought out by there importer competition. While I would argue that the domestic products were superior in quality for the most part it really didn't matter because they couldn't command a premium price in most segments, especially commodity level goods. The only reason that tech has survived to this point is that it is typically so bleeding edge that by the time it is reverse engineered it is obsolete. Even so areas like Taiwan and Hong Kong (with special status from the British Imperial days) are what they are today because they had access to both China and US markets to sell, while the US is mainly restricted from selling directly to China without shell ownership inside mainland China.
The global elite isn't really to blame here. It is everyone trying to scrape two nickels together to survive and buying the cheapest thing they can. Walmart and most big blocks exist because they sell mid quality goods at fairly low margin. They could care less where it comes from, as long is it is the cheapest possible or a unique demand item. The reason everything is made where it is today for the mass majority of consumers is because it is the cheapest place to do it. We all like to claim a moral conscience until it comes to our wallet.
That is until you cannot get it. Which is where we are at today. If domestic production comes back though, and for reasons of logistics and risk of availability it could, it will look very different from the pre1970s industrial era. Automation will be at a never before seen level and human labor will be almost non existent. Elon Musk isn't building his android robot for humanities pleasure, he is trying to solve his labor issue. When that comes to fruition the logistics will bring production back, but not manual labor jobs.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Last edited:
The US dollar is the global reserve currency.

That by definition makes its effect global.

https://www.investopedia.com/articl...-us-dollar-became-worlds-reserve-currency.asp
Other countries can and do print their own currencies for mainly "internal" use, but for most outstanding international debts the vast majority of those are settled in US dollars.

https://www.bis.org/publ/cgfs65.htm

Without that system in place other countries could literally print all of their debt away and then declare their currencies worthless due to the massive hyperinflation and start a new currency.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
The US dollar is the global reserve currency.

That by definition makes its effect global.

https://www.investopedia.com/articl...-us-dollar-became-worlds-reserve-currency.asp

A reserve currency doesn't automatically mean you have inflation because the US has inflation. It only matters if you are buying US goods in a non US currency and also only matters if the dollar is "strong" which is deflationary in the US, inflationary outside of the US. If the dollar was "weak" the US would be printing double digit inflation due to the amount of goods we import from other countries.

If you are buying Chinese goods with Taiwan's dollars the value of the US dollar or its reserve currency status is irrelevant.

At any rate my point stands. Inflation in Taiwan is 1.1%, it's 8% in the US. Japan's is 3% the US is 8%, etc. You can do a simple search to verify. US inflation does not mean it's a global problem, it's a US problem that why the biggest contributors to our current inflation problem is largely domestic (rent, food, energy, labor and assets). The US import inflation has been relatively muted by comparison. You can see this in the US CPI report.