Question What Should I upgrade? [SOLVED]

SSlipknot

Commendable
Mar 18, 2022
I come here today looking for help on what I should upgrade. Currently this system is being used for gaming and is starting to turn into self hosting as well [Plex server, Shared File server,Game Servers]

I know the most obvious thing is I need more storage A LOT MORE, any thoughts on that? Also, is this the best CPU out for gaming now or should I look at upgrading? Cooling seems fine, I would like to stay away from Water-Cooling.

So, here is the full spec list
GPU - Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 [LINK]
RAM- TeamGroup T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 [LINK]
SSD- Samsung 990 PRO 1TB [LINK]
CPU- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D [LINK]
CPU COOLING - DeepCool AK620 [LINK]
PSU - ASUS TUF Gaming 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular [LINK]
MOTHERBOARD - MSI B550 MPG ATX [LINK]

Current Case - Fractal Design Meshify 2 Black ATX [LINK]
- I have case fans just not sure what they are but they do well and fill all empty spots.

As for a budget, I'm not sure I have a flexible budget with this.($700-$1000)

Solution
I come here today looking for help on what I should upgrade. Currently this system is being used for gaming and is starting to turn into self hosting as well [Plex server, Shared File server,Game Servers]

I know the most obvious thing is I need more storage A LOT MORE, any thoughts on that? Also, is this the best CPU out for gaming now or should I look at upgrading? Cooling seems fine, I would like to stay away from Water-Cooling.

- I have case fans just not sure what they are but they do well and fill all empty spots.

If you have your case's 2 3.5 ich drive bays open still...

SSlipknot

Commendable
Mar 18, 2022
You could swap out the processor, motherboard and ram or just drop in a dual channel DDR4-3600MHz ram kit to get the most out of your platform, though where do you feel you're lacking, as it stands I think you have a great backbone to your platform that will last you a while. I would add storage to the build.
I'm not facing any issues at all, the build holds up and temps are well managed. Going down the self hosting rabbit hole is a lot of storage. I wanted to do a Storage rack but my GPU gets in the way and the case isn't the greatest for it. I'm a data hoarder and I have terabytes worth of data in HDD's in boxes lol, I have a hotswap set-up right now for the HDDs cause I cant build a rack in the case.

I'm really considering a NAS connected to the PC but they cost a crazy amount.

SSlipknot

Commendable
Mar 18, 2022
Maybe look out on Amazon as you can sometimes get refurbished servers for not a lot. But you’d still need storage and likely an os depending what you plan on running.

I have a Dell PowerEdge running windows server 2016 but would like this current build to take over everything that's on my other computer and the dell computer technically inst mine, company lets me use it for sandbox so I would like to get everything off of it so I can turn it back in at some point.

The X3d suffix processors are touted as the best for gaming, and they are, just so long as that is the ONLY thing you are doing.
Extra cache makes the single thread performance very good.
OTOH, anything else you do will not be as effective as the underlying processor(R7-5800)You could change out the processor for a 5950X, about $380.

On ram, ryzen is very sensitive to compatibility.
Do not try to add ram.
Replace the ram with a larger kit that is documented to work.
Look at the ram qvl list for your motherboard or a ram vendor and buy only the exact kit specified.

To do better, Think platform change to AM5 or Intel lga1700.
They will support even better processors.

Reactions: SSlipknot

If you have your case's 2 3.5 ich drive bays open still something like this would be a ton of mass storage, and well as an SSD for things you need much quicker. If you decide later to get a NAS you can easily use these drives for that NAS system. Nothing like adding 40 TB of space.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($244.90 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Exos X18 18 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Exos X18 18 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $784.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-06 11:58 EDT-0400

Solution

SSlipknot

Commendable
Mar 18, 2022
If you have your case's 2 3.5 ich drive bays open still something like this would be a ton of mass storage, and well as an SSD for things you need much quicker. If you decide later to get a NAS you can easily use these drives for that NAS system. Nothing like adding 40 TB of space.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($244.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $784.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-06 11:58 EDT-0400
This is probably what I'm going to do. I'll have to find more storage on these because I have way more then that already on HHDs. Thank you!