Question Gigabyte Z790 UD AC - - - - error when trying to update BIOS to F10e ?

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
Just got a new pre-built from ABS on new egg.
I usually build my own PCs but price wise, it was much cheaper to buy a pre-built
I've only heard good things bout ABS
The Mobo came with a February F9 bios.
I'm having issues with the CPU in some games, crashes and whatnot. Only way to fix it so far is to downclock it by x1 in intel app.

I saw the new BIOS adds support for the KS so thought maybe that would help. However, every time i tried to flash I got an error at 75% saying mismatch
I only found one version of that Mobo on their website followed the instruction and tried to flash through the BIOS, q flash.
Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Gigabyte Z790 UD AC
14900KS
gigabyte 4090 windforce V2
64gb TeamGroup Delta RGB DDR5 6000 MHz (2x32GB)
Kingston 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD
EKWB RGB 360MM AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU: ABS ATX 1000W 80+ Gold

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible its a beta bios and fault could be from their end.

I would just wait and see if its replaced by a full number. They have been known to remove bios updates before.

I don't think ABS are big enough to get custom versions of motherboards, unlike other companies. Their website doesn't have a download section... so it should be that motherboard.

Last edited:

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
At a glance, the UD AC is not really a fair match for a 14900KS!

But to your problem. Have you installed GCC and used it to update the BIOS? Presume you haven't, and you should. GCC will pull the latest BIOS it can update to and handle the flashing itself. (well, it just resets to BIOS and flashes it)

Unless you have better reason, you should allow GCC to find and update your drivers.
You might want to uncheck unwanted Norton security bundles or future BIOS updates. No point flashing the BIOS every time there's a new one unless you're having problems the new version fixes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I assume GCC = Gigabyte Command Centre?
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z790-UD-AC-rev-10/support#support-dl-utility
their utilities can be dangerous, or maybe pushy is better word. The app updater, if its anything like the older version, will try to install everything on its list. Watch what it suggests... no one wants Norton really. OLd version would auto select everything meaning you had to unselect everything before making any choices

I have an Aorus X570, I am speaking from experience.

Updating bios through windows always makes me worry. If it won't update via tools in bios, the software unlikely to go any better.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
I assume GCC = Gigabyte Command Centre?
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z790-UD-AC-rev-10/support#support-dl-utility
their utilities can be dangerous, or maybe pushy is better word. The app updater, if its anything like the older version, will try to install everything on its list. Watch what it suggests... no one wants Norton really. OLd version would auto select everything meaning you had to unselect everything before making any choices

I have an Aorus X570, I am speaking from experience.
Yes GCC is Gigabyte Control Centre

Pushy yes, dangerous no. With the caveat that it BIOS updates should not be treated the same as ordinary driver updates.
A recent version of GCC finally split motherborad updates from driver/software updates into separate tabs. There is less confusion. Norton is still pushed by Gigabyte but it's clearly labeled as software and not device driver.
Updating bios through windows always makes me worry. If it won't update via tools in bios, the software unlikely to go any better.

See this is why i'm suggesting the OP use GCC in the first place. It's better than installing and updating device drivers by hand or using Windows. That has been my experience.
I expect GCC would not attempt to install the same BIOS version the OP was trying, but that it would offer a different, more up to date version.

I don't really like bloat, and versions of Gigabyte's update software from a decade ago were so terrible MalwareBytes once asked me if i want to quarantine that sh***
But today the utility is ok, even good to use. It can be uninstalled if needed though.

As for updating through Windows, i guess i'm no less worried no matter how flashing is done. Gigabyte seems to know what they're doing, and it is their software and motherboard so...
I don't know. It's fine without it, but in this case, given the problem of finding and succesfully applying a BIOS update i would suggest using GCC. If nothing else, let it identify the correct BIOS update, then if the update must be done manually, grab it from their website and stick onto a stick, and do the rest using Q-Flash.
Wouldn't make me feel safer that way though.

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
At a glance, the UD AC is not really a fair match for a 14900KS!

But to your problem. Have you installed GCC and used it to update the BIOS? Presume you haven't, and you should. GCC will pull the latest BIOS it can update to and handle the flashing itself. (well, it just resets to BIOS and flashes it)

Unless you have better reason, you should allow GCC to find and update your drivers.
You might want to uncheck unwanted Norton security bundles or future BIOS updates. No point flashing the BIOS every time there's a new one unless you're having problems the new version fixes.
I tried that as a last resort and it doesn't actually show on GCC. My guess is it'll show when it's out of BETA.
So I've given up on flashing BIOS and we just wait for the time being.
However, I'm having pretty bad stability issues. Helldivers keeps crashing, temperature randomly jumps from 40 to 85, some guess won't even start. Youtube videos are stuttering when I'm gaming at the same time.
So far my only BIOS modification are re-size bar and XMP turned on.
Dropping clock speeds seems to do the trick in helldivers but it is hardly a fix.

Sadly the MOBO is what came with it, I assume they had to cut costs somewhere.
If anyone had the same issues and can figure out any sort of fixes for my issues, short of a new BIOS update.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Well, i have the z790 UD non-AC. It came with a ...F2 or F3 BIOS? Can't remember. I updated it to F9. F10 is out now for this model, but i don't have any reason to upgrade so i'm leaving it unchecked.

Your motherboard is almost identical except it has WiFi, so i will assume it's BIOS updates are similar. F9 did come out in february or so iirc, so your BIOS is not outdated. Maybe you're right afterall and you have to wait until F10 comes out of beta.

The UD is not a bad board. It's got everything a motherboard needs to have except flash or beefy VRM. For my 13600K it's fine, but a KS i9 is a surprise. Cutting costs in deed. I wouldn't be shocked if the motherboard is simply not up to the job and that is causing your issues.

The specs are top notch otherwise. But that is the rock bottom z790 Gigabyte motherboard. It's like sticking a 4090 in a i3 12100 system. Just, no...

Are you open to the idea of migrating all your good stuff onto a better motherboard?
At least if the F10 BIOS doesn't improve stability, consider the idea. Since you say you got the computer for a nice price, maybe you can go up to a beefier Asus or Gigabyte board without paying too much. AsRock have a swank ITX board but that's maybe not what you want.
I hesistate to recommend MSi z790 motherboards because of recent problems with cracks on the chipset.

Is the board running the CPU with unlimited power? If so that could potentially resolve your CPU related crashing issues.

As for the BIOS update error what's the exact message? Does it just say the word "mismatch" or does it give any other hints?

Reactions: Samgm

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
Is the board running the CPU with unlimited power? If so that could potentially resolve your CPU related crashing issues.

As for the BIOS update error what's the exact message? Does it just say the word "mismatch" or does it give any other hints?
It says OIEM mismatch when it hits 75%. Which means it's not compatible with my board. Except its the BIOS on the gigabyte page. There seems to be only one version of that board.

I'll have to look later tonight when I'm off work. I believe it's set to auto. I haven't touched much in there because when I do it creates more instability. I'd have to know what value or power limits to set for the CPU.

Form what I read the original board settings are PL1 PL2 are at 253W and ICCMax current of 307 A

I've tried stress testing it in XTU and it fails literally 2 seconds in.

Last edited:

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
Well, i have the z790 UD non-AC. It came with a ...F2 or F3 BIOS? Can't remember. I updated it to F9. F10 is out now for this model, but i don't have any reason to upgrade so i'm leaving it unchecked.

Your motherboard is almost identical except it has WiFi, so i will assume it's BIOS updates are similar. F9 did come out in february or so iirc, so your BIOS is not outdated. Maybe you're right afterall and you have to wait until F10 comes out of beta.

The UD is not a bad board. It's got everything a motherboard needs to have except flash or beefy VRM. For my 13600K it's fine, but a KS i9 is a surprise. Cutting costs in deed. I wouldn't be shocked if the motherboard is simply not up to the job and that is causing your issues.

The specs are top notch otherwise. But that is the rock bottom z790 Gigabyte motherboard. It's like sticking a 4090 in a i3 12100 system. Just, no...

Are you open to the idea of migrating all your good stuff onto a better motherboard?
At least if the F10 BIOS doesn't improve stability, consider the idea. Since you say you got the computer for a nice price, maybe you can go up to a beefier Asus or Gigabyte board without paying too much. AsRock have a swank ITX board but that's maybe not what you want.
I hesistate to recommend MSi z790 motherboards because of recent problems with cracks on the chipset.
If its the case I would probably just return the PC to ABS. I have 30 days. So for now I'm trying to figure out if I can make this thing stable enough to keep. My old PC is 6900xt with 5800x The MOBO was much better. It took me a while to get it stable and even then, AMD driver issues kept coming. It's still a viable PC though, worst comes to worst. Its just that the price of upgrading single parts, in Canada anyway, is just ridiculous nowadays.

It says OIEM mismatch when it hits 75%. Which means it's not compatible with my board. Except its the BIOS on the gigabyte page. There seems to be only one version of that board.
Sometimes it's a weird distribution deal and the OEM provides the BIOS updates directly so this may be the situation.
I'll have to look later tonight when I'm off work. I believe it's set to auto. I haven't touched much in there because when I do it creates more instability. I'd have to know what value or power limits to set for the CPU.

Form what I read the original board settings are PL1 PL2 are at 253W and ICCMax current of 307 A

I've tried stress testing it in XTU and it fails literally 2 seconds in.
There's definitely something wrong, and you can check what they're set to currently using HWInfo so you don't need to poke around in BIOS etc. If it's not on unlimited power then I think having ABS replace/repair the system is in order.

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
Sometimes it's a weird distribution deal and the OEM provides the BIOS updates directly so this may be the situation.

There's definitely something wrong, and you can check what they're set to currently using HWInfo so you don't need to poke around in BIOS etc. If it's not on unlimited power then I think having ABS replace/repair the system is in order.
Turning on Intel POR (which basically limits power to Intel settings) did the trick for crashes. Unreal games that wouldn't start now start.

I'm still trying to figure out why videos are stuttering when I'm playing games at the same time though. Thanks for the power thing though.

Update, today I was finally off and had time to do a fresh windows install aaaaaaaaaaaaaand...
All seems to be working fine now.
Feel stupid for not doing that in the 1st place.

Oh well, thanks all!

Last edited:
May 3, 2024
Just got a new pre-built from ABS on new egg.
I usually build my own PCs but price wise, it was much cheaper to buy a pre-built
I've only heard good things bout ABS
The Mobo came with a February F9 bios.
I'm having issues with the CPU in some games, crashes and whatnot. Only way to fix it so far is to downclock it by x1 in intel app.
I saw the new BIOS adds support for the KS so thought maybe that would help. However, every time i tried to flash I got an error at 75% saying mismatch
I only found one version of that Mobo on their website followed the instruction and tried to flash through the BIOS, q flash.
Any help or tips would be appreciated.

14900KS
gigabyte 4090 windforce V2
Z790 UD AC
64gb TeamGroup Delta RGB DDR5 6000 MHz (2x32GB)
Kingston 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD
EKWB RGB 360MM AIO Liquid Cooler
ABS ATX 1000W 80+ Gold
I bought the same computer from newegg. having the same problem. They just released the new bios F10g Apr 23 2024. same issue you were having. It states that it provides support for the 14900ks and i believe this would solve our issue. Suck it wont work. please update the forum if you get any more problems or issues

May 3, 2024
Your problem is Unreal games not strating/crashing or video stuttering?

Have you tried turning on Intel POR?
It will crash, freeze, restart the entire pc, give me the error about video memory.

What is POR and how do i enable it?

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
The issue with unreal game is due to re-size bar not being turned on. Also turn off g-sync in Nvidia global settings. Known issues with Unreal games.

I ended up returning this PC. They're sending a new one and I believe there is a different motherboard in it.

You can't flash Bios because it's a ABS specific motherboard. They have a special version of the BIOS you need to ask them for the latest one. They don't have beta BIOS versions.

Try lowering your RAM speed to 5600 instead of 6000. Or remove one stick.

These are some of the solutions I used. You can also limit the PL1 PL2 and A. Which helps with stability but will drop core speeds. Then new PC come with the same stuff but on a MSI Z690-a pro ddr5 wifi board. Hopefully it works better out of the box. I think the new one comes with a free game... So I get the old 1k off promo and the new free game promo... win win.

This CPU runs insanely hot, games that are CPU intensive will most likely not do well. In Helldivers 2, I'm forced to limit PL1 PL2 or drop clock rates or else it crashes all the time

Last edited:
Reactions: 35below0

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
  • Colors: Black
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Home
  • CPU Type: Intel Core i9 14th Gen
  • CPU Name: Intel Core i9-14900KS
  • GPU/VGA Type: Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce V2 with support for DLSS 3 - AI-Powered Performance
  • Memory Capacity: 64GB DDR5
  • SSD: Kingston 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD
  • HDD: No
  • Option: MSI Z690-A Pro DDR5 Wifi

Seems to be the same except for the motherboard. Hopefully this time it works better. Psu is their own, 1000w 80+ gold

VRM on that board doesn't seem like it's going to be much better than the Gigabyte. Weird they're using such low end boards with the KS. Don't get me wrong it should run the CPU, but I wouldn't really trust it for long duration max power or the 320W Extreme profile at all.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
VRM on that board doesn't seem like it's going to be much better than the Gigabyte. Weird they're using such low end boards with the KS. Don't get me wrong it should run the CPU, but I wouldn't really trust it for long duration max power or the 320W Extreme profile at all.
I think they are selling the 14900KS, 4090 and 64 Gb RAM, charging a ridiculous amount of money for it, and cheaping out on anything they can.

@Samgm you say the price is much better than a i9/4090 PC you could build yourself?

You're unlikely to fill up 32Gb of RAM, so the 64 is overkill for gaming. The 4090 is a class act and worth the price so no complaints there. The 14900KS though, it NEEDS a top end motherboard and excellent cooler to get the most out of it. It's probably worth it to consider a 14700K for gaming. Or 14900K if you feel you must but again, the motherboard and PSU will have to match it.

The overall build is not making sense.

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
Price-wise, how does this compare to wheatever ABS are selling?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($389.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 5 CPU Cooler ($79.90 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 Riptide WiFi ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($107.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44L 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1779.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.90 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 13 1600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($399.90 @ Newegg)
Total: $3172.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-11 16:40 EDT-0400

Samgm

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2017
Price-wise, how does this compare to wheatever ABS are selling?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700K 3.4 GHz 20-Core Processor ($389.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 5 CPU Cooler ($79.90 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z790 Riptide WiFi ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($107.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44L 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1779.99 @ Newegg)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.90 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 13 1600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($399.90 @ Newegg)
Total: $3172.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-11 16:40 EDT-0400
That's 200 cheaper than what I paid for my ABS (I bought in Cad dollar and the conversion made it actually cheaper than the price they sell it in the US)
The price of all the parts alone in CAD on newegg would have been another 1500
Cad prices on single prices aren't good. A 4090 card will be close 3000, the 14900ks is close to 1000

Last edited:

35below0

Commendable
Jan 3, 2024
That's 200 cheaper than what I paid for my ABS (I bought in Cad dollar and the conversion made it actually cheaper than the price they sell it in the US)
The price of all the parts alone in CAD on newegg would have been another 1500
Cad prices on single prices aren't good. A 4090 card will be close 3000, the 14900ks is close to 1000
Ok, revised build. This is a 13900, nonK. Cheaper, cannot be overclocked. Maybe 1-3% slower than the 14900 but a fine pairing for the 4090. The motherboard is a non z790 model, and isn't completely crap for an i9.
The rest is slightly modified to fit the Canadian prices/availability.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900 2 GHz 24-Core Processor ($564.96 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.90 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B760 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($244.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($169.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($167.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: PNY XLR8 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X RGB OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($2398.98 @ Best Buy Canada)
Case: Montech AIR 903 BASE ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic VERTEX PX-1200 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($392.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $4078.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-12 00:17 EDT-0400

The 13900K / z790 motherboard version:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor ($698.98 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($43.90 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($299.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($169.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: TEAMGROUP MP44 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($167.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: PNY XLR8 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X RGB OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($2398.98 @ Best Buy Canada)
Case: Montech AIR 903 BASE ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic VERTEX PX-1200 1200 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($392.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $4267.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-12 02:11 EDT-0400

You'd have to pay another $50 for the 14900K over the 13900K. The performance difference between them is not worth $50, so only buy a 14900K if you just really want to.
The MSi z790 Tomahawk is fine for either gen.
(you may need to flash the motherboard. It can be flashed without a CPU, just power and a USB stick.)

The 14900KS is another microscopic gain in performance that is not worth paying for unless you just stubborny need the best and nothing but the best.
If you do want that CPU, you'll need a more expensive motherboard and PSU.
I don't think it's neccessary for gaming but i'll help you find it, if you want it.

Last edited: