A Beginners Guide to Improving Your Gaming Session

In my last tutorial, I provided a decent explanation about how particular components in a PC will impact your gaming experience. This tutorial will be based more on the user instead of the hardware.

Lets say you're in a heart racing game, left with a 1v1 in Search and Destroy. You run around a corner and couldn't react fast enough before the enemy player pulls the trigger. Your initial reaction may be to throw the keyboard, but there are many things that you can do to improve your reaction time along with your overall experience in gaming.

Generally the most reaction heavy games are FPS, or First Person Shooters. These are games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Planetside 2. There are 4 key points to improve your gaming session experience.

1. Posture
DX-Racer-Office-Chairs-300x300.jpg

Posture is a very important aspect of games, as it can affect the time it takes for you to make a move. A second too late can mean the difference between losing and winning. Ensure you have good posture in your chair (sitting up0 instead of laying back). This not only promotes better reaction times, but it can also increase comfort and reduce back strain when older. Proper posture involves sitting up straight, along with keeping a distance of 14 inches or more from your monitor.

2. Desk/Area Cleanliness and Food
A well cleaned gaming area generally encourages better performance. Its recommended that you do not have anything cluttering your gaming space as it can interfere with movements of the mouse, and can cause distractions. Do NOT eat while you are gaming as cheese or anything else all over your components can cause defects that will cost you the game. The ideal time to eat is about 15-30 minutes before you begin your gaming session. Eat according to how long you plan to game, but never over eat. Some recommended foods include: Sandwiches, Salads, and Meats. Do not stuff yourself with junk food, and be sure to drink plenty of water.

3. Time
galvanized-wall-clock.jpg

Time is very important for a gamer, and thus it has a large impact on performance. Only game when you feel comfortable. If you're in school, set the timer for about an hour, and afterwards finish your homework, then go back to gaming. It is a lot easier to do homework when you first get home, as you can function better. I generally like to game in the early afternoon, from 1:00 PM to 4 or 5:00 PM. Gaming in the morning can make the day seem to drag on whenever you have to get off, while gaming at night can result in serious sleeping problems. If you want to game for long periods, it is recommended to take a 15 minute break every 2-3 hours.

4. Sleep
As a gamer, you may find it difficult to get off the computer, and before you know it, it's 3:00 AM. For each person, there is a certain time of the night where they feel very tired, but a few minutes later they aren't even yawning. In theory, this is caused by constant stimulation by the computer, which leaves the brain focusing on processing these stimuli, instead of going to sleep. This results in a feedback loop, if the gamer keeps on staying up late, causing the gamer to wake up later and later. It is recommended that you begin your gaming session in the mid afternoon, and stop (at the latest) 30 minutes before you usually fall asleep. If you have enough sleep, you will be much more energetic and have a much better time.

Well, that was my tutorial. Hopefully this will help you have a much more enjoyable gaming experience.
Feel free to private message me if you want a tutorial on any topic.
-Profound