How to change the Windows 10 login screen background

7malligk

Reputable
May 4, 2015
The login screen in Windows 10 no longer has that plain-colored background that was present in Windows 8.1. You could say that the new login screen is more “alive” now that it features the default Windows 10 wallpaper as its background, but unfortunately, it isn’t customizable through settings.

Change Login Background to Plain Colour

Although it can still be removed to bring back the single-color, theme-based background, here’s how to do it.

Step 1: Hit Windows Key + R to bring up the Run dialog, then type ‘regedit’ and hit Enter

Step 2: On the left pane in Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software, Policies, Microsoft, Windows, then System

Step 3: Right-click anywhere in the right pane and select New, DWORD (32-bit) Value, then name it DisableLogonBackgroundImage

Step 4: Right-click the newly created value, then click Modify

Step 5: Change the 0 under ‘Value data’ to 1, and click OK

There you have it. You can test if it worked by locking your PC (Windows Key + L), notice that the background is the same color as your theme, which can be changed in Settings, Personalization, Colors.

Change Login Background to Customized Image

Microsoft doesn’t yet provide an official registry hack or group policy setting for changing the login screen background on Windows 10. However, enterprising Windows tweakers have discovered that the image is part of the Windows.UI.Logon.pri file. Change the image stored inside the PRI file and Windows will use a different background image of your choice.

Warning: This approach uses third-party tools to modify a Windows system file. Continue at your own risk.

You’ll need some sort of third-party script or utility to do this. The best tool I found for this was the Windows 10 Login Image Changer, created by Alphawaves over at the My Digital Life Forums, which worked fine on my system. You’ll need to register and log into the forum to view the download\. (PFCKrutonium’s Windows 10 Login Background Changer should theoretically work as well, but we ran into permission issues. It may be fixed in the future.)

Launch it and select a background image — for example, the wallpapers built into Windows 10 are stored at C:\Windows\Web\ . You’re free to download other wallpaper images from the web, use your own, or even create a flat-color wallpaper image. This would allow you to set a different flat-color background for your login screen than the one Windows 10 uses on the desktop.
These tweaks were tested on the final release version of Windows 10, build 10240. Microsoft may change the way this works in the future as it updates Windows 10 at a more rapid pace than previous versions of Windows — hopefully by providing more built-in options for adjusting these settings.

NOTE: This information was got from the tutorial on howtogeek.com but was personally tested on my PC.

TRENDING THREADS