How To How to disable fast restart, hybrid sleep and hibernation in Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
amdEDcY.png

Windows has had problems with sleep and hibernation on some systems since about the time Windows 8 was introduced. Issues with hibernation and the fast restart or hybrid sleep modes have been found
to create problems when the system tries to sleep, resume, restart, shut down or in some cases we've even seen systems that have slept or resumed all on their own with no user input.

Not every system has problems with the deep sleep and hibernation states BUT if you suspect yours might be then you can take a couple of very simple steps to disable hibernation which will also disable
any possibility of Windows attempting to use the hybrid sleep or fast restart routines. This is something that I do by default on my systems and any client system I work on simply to avoid problems. Normal sleep states
still work fine so you are really not losing anything. I don't recommend doing this for tablets or phones running Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, only laptops and desktop systems.

First, either right click your start menu button and select "Command prompt (Run as administrator)" or navigate to the Start menu >Windows system folder and then right click the command prompt entry. Select "More" and then "Run as administrator".

dMalpQh.png

Next, in the command prompt type the following command (Or copy and paste) and then hit enter.

powercfg.exe /h off

yqWuyID.png

That is it, you're done. Now if you go to the advanced power settings in Control panel or Settings, you should find that both hibernation and hybrid sleep/fast restart are disabled.

If any problems you were having continue after having done this then it is either not related to a hibernation setting or it is some other problem such as a power supply architecture that is incompatible with some
of your hardware or BIOS/UEFI configuration. Of course, it's possible that your issue isn't sleep or hibernation related at all, and that's going to take you a different direction.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.