The Windows 10 SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (ks.sys) error can be caused by old drivers, antivirus software or CloneDrive. Each is fairly straightforward to troubleshoot. If you need to fix the Windows 10 SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (ks.sys) error, here’s how to do it.
KS.sys is a Windows core file that manages video capture and the associated drivers. It has been a part of Windows since Windows XP and continues into Windows 10. This gives us a good idea of where to start in our troubleshooting.
Fix the Windows 10 SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (ks.sys) error
First let us perform a Windows and driver update to see if old drivers are causing the issue.
1. Navigate to Settings, Update & security, Windows Update.
2. Click ‘Check for updates’ and allow the process to complete.
3. Reboot if necessary.
4. Navigate to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Device Manager.
5. Click Sound, video and game controllers right click and select ‘Update Driver Software’.
6. Select any webcam you have, right click and select ‘Update Driver Software’.
7. Reboot and retest.
If the error reappears, update all your drivers, especially graphics. If the problem persists after driver updates, try removing your security software. Just remember to replace it with a newer or alternative version once you have completed troubleshooting.
1. Navigate to Control Panel and Programs.
2. Select ‘Uninstall a program’.
3. Highlight your antivirus, malware or other security software and click Uninstall.
4. Reboot and retest.
5. Perform this step for all security software until the error goes away.
If the error disappears, download new versions of each security app you had installed and add them one at a time. Give your computer a chance to throw up the error before moving on to the next one.
If you still see the error and use Virtual CloneDrive, remove that too as it has been linked to the SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (ks.sys) error. Reboot and retest.
Other useful Windows 10 tutorials on Tom’s Hardware:
How to re-register the Windows store in Windows 10
How to open the On Screen Keyboard in Windows 10 when your physical keyboard isn't working
How to change sync frequency of the Windows 10 Mail app