How to perform clean install of Windows 8 and activate with build in product key

Status
Not open for further replies.

lp231

Splendid
OEM based computers running Windows 8, uses a new type of activation, where the license key is embedded into the bios, rather than having it on a label, found on the exterior of a PC. This is most likely to prevent pirating and make it easier to activate Windows 8, since it should read the product key and automatically activate. Turns out, that's not how it works as what I've encounter when performing a clean install of Windows 8 on a SSD. When finished installing Windows 8, it says Windows is not activated and asked for a product key.
After some figuring out, I finally got it to work.

Note: This tutorial was by using a HP notebook running Windows 8 Professional. Different OEM based systems may have different methods. I hope this tutorial will work for yours too. Also make sure you have the latest bios update.
Here is another tutorial (not by me) for a Sony notebook, running Windows 8.

Preparation
1. Turn on the system and press F10 to go into the Bios
2. In the bios, head over to System Configutation>Boot Options
3. Go to Secure Boot and disable it
4. Then select Clear All Secure Boot Keys and type in the 4 digit confirmation code
5. Next, go to Load HP Factory Default Keys, select that, and press Yes
6. Save Bios and Exit
7. Press F10 and go back into Bios
8. Go to System Configuration>Boot Options
9. Select Legacy Support and enable it. A warning message will appear, saying this may cause the OS not to boot, just ignore that and press Yes.
Now you should see the following:
Legacy Support = Enabled and Platform Key = Enrolled
10. Save Bios and Exit

Installation
1. Insert the original Windows 8 Professional 64bit Disc to the DVD drive and launch the boot drive order by pressing F9
2. In the driver order, select Boot from EFI File and hit enter
A window will open up, showing both the HDD/SSD and DVD drive along with a unique code next to each hardware device (This ID probably has something to do with Secure Boot).
3. Choose EFI Sector DVD and hit Enter
4. Then select <EFI> >>> <Boot> >>> Bootx64.EFI. After this system will blank out and then asked to Boot from DVD.
5. Press any key to boot from DVD. If it's done correctly, you'll see a HP logo starting up
6. After the DVD has finish initializing, Windows 8 setup screen will appear. click Next
7. Accept the EULA and then select Custom Install
8. Create a new partiton on the drive you want to install the OS.
Note: Windows will create 3 additonal partitions, along with the one for OS installation. This makes the drive as GPT.
9. Install Windows 8
10. After installation and customization of personal settings. Go to Control Panel>System and you'll see Windows 8 is activated.

What is Secure Boot?
All computers running Windows 8 have Secure Boot enabled. This to to prevent rootkits and other low-level malwares from infecting your system, however it causes problems where some linux distro, cannot be install and hardware not compatible like a video card, DVD, HDD, USB flash drives, and even SSD not to boot.
Before I got it to work. my SSD didn't work with Secure Boot enabled as the system will not even list the SSD as a boot device. After figuring it out. The SSD can boot with either Secure Boot enabled or disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS