After the scare of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, it is natural to not want your Samsung Gear VR to overheat your phone when using it. When running the Gear VR, the handset battery heats up significantly. While not an issue in the vast majority of cases, it can overheat during prolonged use. If you want to prevent overheating with the Samsung Gear VR, here’s what you need to do.
Prevent overheating with the Samsung Gear VR
There is not a lot we can do to prevent the battery running hot while using the Samsung Gear VR. What we can do is delay it and make sure all available battery power is devoted to running the app or game you’re enjoying.
Here are a few things you can do to achieve that.
1. Fully charge your phone before using Gear VR. Charging generates heat so charging while using the Gear VR will just compound the problem. Make sure your phone is fully charged before using it.
2. Put your phone into airplane mode. This reduces processor overhead for calls, searching for cell coverage and the like.
3. Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Unless the game requires an internet connection or you are using a Bluetooth controller, turn them both off to reduce overhead.
4. Do not use the Gear VR cover. The cover is useful in bright rooms or direct sunlight but also prevents heat from escaping. Leave the cover off to help the phone radiate heat.
5. Close all applications you’re not using. This reduces battery drain which will leave more to run the Gear VR and also lower heat output slightly.
These steps will not only prevent overheating with the Samsung Gear VR but also allow the phone to dedicate all its resources to running the headset. This will lower the heat output but also improve your experience.
Get more out of the Gear VR by reading ‘How to play PC games with your Samsung Gear VR’ or ‘The best accessories to buy for your Samsung Gear VR’.