The Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 is a seriously good laptop that takes portable computing forward in huge strides. It is a very compact and tidy package with a great design and decent power. There is a lot of technology under that sleek base cover. If you want to see exactly what you bought, here is how to remove the base cover on your Dell XPS 13 2-in-1.
While your Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 is under warranty, I would advise against making any changes yourself or even removing the base cover. Take your device to an authorized dealer and have them perform any repairs or replacements under that warranty.
If your device is out of warranty and you are confident in your skills, follow these simple steps:
Remove the base cover on a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1
The base cover of the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 is held in place by eight M2x3 screws and a sneaky M1.6x4 screw hidden underneath the XPS badge. You will need to unscrew all of them to safely remove the base cover. You will need a suitable screwdriver and something capable of gently prying the base cover away from the chassis to make this work.
1. Turn the device upside down on a flat, stable surface. Use an antistatic wristband or surface to prevent static.
2. Undo the eight screws around the base cover and put them somewhere safe.
3. Lift the XPS badge and remove the screw underneath.
4. Use something suitable to gently pry the base cover away from the chassis. Dell suggest a plastic scribe but not many of us have those hanging around. A flathead screwdriver or butter knife should do the trick, just be careful.
Now you have exposed the inner workings of your Dell XPS 13 2-in-1. Be careful what you do in there!
Replace the base cover on a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1
Once you have sated your curiosity or performed whatever task you wanted to perform, you just need to reverse the removal procedure to replace the base cover on your Dell XPS 13 2-in-1.
1. Place the base over the chassis and ensure all the screw holes are aligned.
2. Replace the center screw under the XPS badge and tighten loosely.
3. Replace the screws in each corner and add the other four screws.
4. Tighten all screws until just past finger tight. Be careful not to overtighten them and strip the thread.
That’s all there is to removing the base cover on a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1!