The search bar and Cortana integration was one of the most anticipated features of Windows 10. It doesn’t have universal appeal though and if you’re one of those who doesn’t like it or doesn’t want to lose so much Taskbar space, you can hide or disable it. Here’s how to remove the search bar from Windows 10.
With Cortana activated, the search bar says Cortana. With Cortana deactivated, the box reads ‘Search Windows’. Both can be used or removed as you like.
Remove the search bar from Windows 10
You can quickly remove the search bar from Windows 10.
1. Right click an empty space on the Taskbar.
2. Select Search and then Hidden.
3. Select Show search bar to return it should you wish to.
Immediately, you have regained quite a lot of Taskbar real estate but you haven’t stopped Cortana listening. To do that we need to disable Cortana completely.
Disable Cortana in Windows 10
It is surprisingly simple to disable Cortana in Windows 10.
1. Type or paste ‘cortana’ into the Search Windows box.
2. Select ‘Off’ under ‘Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas…’ to turn the app off.
3. Select ‘On’ to return Cortana to the search bar.
Even though you have removed the search bar from the Taskbar, you can still search Windows using Explorer. If you decide you actually like the quick search function but don’t want to use the search bar, change the Hidden option above to ‘Show search icon’. It takes up a lot less space!
Bend Windows 10 to your will with these great tutorials:
How to open Settings in Windows 10
How to open the Control Panel in Windows 10
How to send SMS text messages from the Messaging app in Windows 10