The Game Bar in Windows 10 is an Xbox-type app that allows you to record gameplay and take screenshots. If you use an Xbox controller on your PC and hit the Xbox button, you should see a prompt on your computer asking you if you want to use the Game Bar. If you would prefer to manually turn the Game Bar on or off in Windows 10, here’s how.
While pretty good at what it does, there are many third-party apps that can capture gameplay and either stream it or keep it for your own use. If you don’t want to use the Game Bar, here is how to control it.
Turn the Game Bar on or off in Windows 10
1. Navigate to the Xbox app within Windows 10.
2. Select Settings and then Game DVR.
3. Turn ‘Record game clips and screenshots using Game DVR’ to off.
Turn the Game Bar on or off in Windows 10 using the registry
You can also disable the Game Bar using the registry.
1. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameDVR.
2. Change the AppCaptureEnabled DWORD value to 0 to turn it off. Change it to 1 to turn it back on.
3. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore.
4. Change the GameDVR_Enabled DWORD value to 0 to turn it off. Change it to 1 to turn it back on.
To remove the Game Bar altogether
If you would like to remove the Xbox app altogether, try this.
1. Open a Windows PowerShell as an administrator.
2. Type or paste ‘Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage’
3. Let the process complete.
These tweaks might also help:
How to uninstall and reinstall Windows 10 built-in apps
How to Create a System Repair Disc in Windows 10
How to perform a Windows 10/Ubuntu dual boot