Improvement of Internet Speeds

Technetium-99

Honorable
Nov 3, 2016
If you think that your bandwidth is being throttled/your internet is being slow, you've come to the right place. I've had this very same problem for a while, and have come to a solution. Some of these things may be new to you, and some may be common.

After looking through services.msc, a service called 'AllJoyn Router Service' caught my eye. Knowing it's linked to networks, and it looks a bit sketchy, I went to Windows Firewall and saw it was enabled. So I disabled it in Windows Firewall and in services.msc, and from doing that, my internet speeds have been well improved so far. Bear in mind though, the service is manually enabled but still has an effect.

(To note, I believe this AllJoyn service is only in Windows 10, since this is when Microsoft wanted to get involved with the Internet of Things scheme and partnered with the AllSeen Alliance. Any other versions of Windows may not contribute to this).

Using CMD to reset a few network settings can also help:

• netsh int ipv4 reset,
    netsh int ipv6 reset,
    netsh winsock reset,
    ipconfig /flushdns

A network adapter reset may need to be done after these, by disabling then enabling it again or by using the troubleshooter. Also, make sure you restart your machine to finish the reset.

People also have trouble with internet speeds because of some type of AVG driver. The driver is called avgfwd6a.sys, and is the AVG Filter Driver. It literally filters bandwidth. Deleting this driver completely is another method of getting internet speeds back. It can be found in WinDir\system32\drivers. By the way, the driver doesn't automatically delete if AVG is uninstalled. And, it installs itself with any AVG antivirus product, so have a check if you've had AVG in the past.

Having custom IP addresses and DNS servers instead of automatically assigned ones could improve speeds. You can change these settings from your IPv4/TCP settings list, in your network adapter properties.

In general, scan your PC with any antivirus software to make sure malware isn't present, as this can reduce speeds. Do a sfc /scannow to check system integrity; any bad files could pose problems. Check your Firewall and services list for any strange looking additions, and disable them if you're concerned. And as always, create a system restore for in case something goes wrong whilst doing these things.

Thanks for reading, everyone at Tom's Hardware :)