The Beginner's Guide to Overclocking your CPU

nayrnayr1

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
Overclocking a PC isn't that hard, all you need is a motherboard with an Overclocking BIOS, a decent power phase distribution, any CPU, OK Cooling, and a good PSU.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND OR ADVISE GOING OVER 1.4v ON ANY SYSTEM UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. THIS IS NOT A MOTHERBOARD GUIDE EITHER, GO TO THE TOMSHARDWARE MOTHERBOARD GUIDE FOR THAT.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

A good PSU:

These would qualify as a good PSU

Antec Earthwatts/HCG/HCGM/TP/HCP

be quiet! Pure Power/Straight Power/Dark Power/Dark Power Pro/Power Zone

Cooler Master G/RS/RSF/RSC/RSA/Silent Pro

Corsair RM/RMx/RMi/HX/HXi/AX/AXi/TX

Cougar GMX/CMX/PX/SX/GX

Enermax EPM/ERV/EMR

EVGA GQ/B2/GS/G2/P2/T2

FirePower ZT/ZX

FSP Aurum S/Raider (S)/HG/PT/Aurum CM/AU/Aurum Gold

NZXT HALE90

OCZ ZT/ZX/FTY

Rosewill Photon/Capstone/Quark

SeaSonic S12II/SSR/S12/S12G/SS/SSP/X Series/Platinum/Snow Silent (Pretty Much Anything)

Silverstone STF-P/STF-PB/SX-G/NJ

Superflower SF (Pretty Much Anything)

Thermaltake PS-TPG/TP/TPX/TPD

XFX TS/PRO/P1 (Pretty Much Anything)

This list may be added to, SOME PSUs ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS, also, your PSU might be fine and not on this list, but these are a lot of the good ones. I would suggest having one of these if you are overclocking!

A motherboard with an OC chipset or is OCable.

FOR G3258 OWNERS!!! You can use an ASROCK H97 MB for overclocking the G3258

AMD 760G/990X/990FX/970/A85X/A58X

Intel X38/X58/X79/X99/Z68/Z75/Z77/Z87/Z97/Z170

There might be some chipsets that you can OC on, not all are listed only the more modern ones.

Good Thermal Paste and Application Methods
Thermal Paste: http://www.maximumpc.com/geek-tested-17-thermal-pastes-face-off/

Application: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

Good Coolers!

Cooler Master Hyper T2

Cooler Master TX3

Cooler Master Hyper T4

Arctic A11

Arctic i11

CRYORIG M9a

CRYORIG M9i

Zalman CNPS9300

The All So Famous Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Evercool TTC-NK35TZ/RPW/V3

Silverstone AR02

Deepcool LUCIFER

be quiet! Shadow Rock 2

Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R

Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B

Scythe Kotetsu

Thermalright MACHO 120 REV.A

Thermaltake NiC C5

LEPA LPALV12-BK

ARCTIC UCACO-FZ13100-BL

Cooler Master Hyper 612 Ver.2

CRYORIG H5 Ultimate

CRYORIG H5 Universal

ARCTIC UCACO-FI30201-GB

ARCTIC Freezer Xtreme

Zalman CNPS10X Performa

Scythe SCKTN-4000

Zalman CNPS9900ALED

Zalman CNPS9500 AT

ARCTIC ACFZ13

be quiet! PURE ROCK

Phanteks PH-TC12DX

Silverstone AR03

Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK

Deepcool FROSTWIN V2.0

Corsair H50

Corsair H60

Corsair H55

Scythe SCNJ-3100

Scythe SCNJ-4000

Noctua NH-U9DXi4

Deepcool CAPTAIN 120

Silverstone TD03-LITE

Noctua NH-D9DX i4 3U

Thermalright Macho Rev.B

Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD

Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Noctua NH-U14S

Prolimatech Megahelms

Prolimatech PRO-GNSS

LEPA AquaChanger 240

Deepcool CAPTAIN 240

Noctua NH-C14

Silverstone TD02-LITE

be quiet! Dark Rock 3

Corsair H75

Noctua NH-D14

Gelid Solutions Black Edition

Noctua NH-C14S

be quiet! DARK ROCK TF

Noctua NH-D15S

Thermalright SILVER ARROW IB-E

Prolimatech PRO-MGH-C

Intel BXTS13X

CRYORIG R1 Universal

CRYORIG R1 Ultimate

Corsair H80i GT

Corsair H90

Antec KUHLER H2O 1250

All other Corsair Liquid Coolers

NZXT Coolers

There will be coolers that are fine that are not on this list, in-fact, this list isn't nearly all of the good coolers. There are quite a lot

VOCABULARY:

BCLK: Base Clock

Multiplier: The number the BCLK is multiplied by

Understanding Overclocking

Overclocking is the action of changing the clock rate of any electronic with a clock in it, and making it faster. The most popular application is in computers, as this is why you would be reading this. There are two types of overclocking, BCLK overclocking, and multiplier overclocking.

BCLK Overclocking

If you are BCLK overclocking, your CPU will not have an unlocked multiplier, it is much harder to achieve a stable overclock with BCLK overclocking, as you are changing the base clock on all of the items on a clock in your computer. Those include: The CPU, the NB Chipset, and the RAM.

You can achieve a stable overclock with BCLK overclocking though. The way you do it is you have to adjust all of the voltages on all of the effected items.

EXAMPLE:

You have a computer with a BCLK of 100MHz, you turn up the BCLK to 125MHz. That will change your RAM from DDR3 1600 to DDR3 2000, which means you will have to turn up the voltage because it will not be stable at the stock voltages. The CPU has a multiplier of 27, that will also change the clock rate to 3.375GHz. You will also have to up the voltage on that too. You will not have a stable system as easily as the Multiplier OCing.

Multiplier Overclocking

If you are multiplier overclocking, I will assume you have an i5-4690k or FX-6 or FX-8 series CPU. It is easy to have a good, stable overclock on a multiplier. You start with a CPU and you only change the CPU's clock rate, which helps with system stability. You have to up the voltage still, but it is a lot better than BCLK Overclocking.

EXAMPLE:

You have a computer with a CPU that has a 34x Multiplier, a 3.4GHz clock, and a 100MHz BCLK, you turn up the multiplier to 40x, a 4.0GHz clock, the system will be producing more heat, and consuming more volts, you will need a good cooler for both the BCLK overclocking and the Multiplier overclocking.

Testing For Stability

Make sure that power limiting and turbo clocks are turned off so that stuff doesn't get in the way.

You have to test to make sure the system is stable, and is not running too hot, the program I suggest is PRIME95 (Link at bottom). I suggest running PRIME95 for about 8 hours or longer, but you do not have to run it for very long at all, I ran it for a few minutes, but that is only because it was (You could also just play your favorite game for stability testing, but it is not advised). Run a program to monitor temperatures (For AMD only use AMD Overdrive Thermal Margin is how much is left to an overheat).

Temp Guide

All CPUs should stay under 70-75C under load to ensure a safe, long, and cool operation. I say around 40-45C idle is a little high but it is fine.

Link to P95

http://www.mersenne.org/download/

Critiques would be appreciated!

TRENDING THREADS