[SOLVED] £1000 Gaming Build - Please Advise

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Readycheck

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Good evening all,

Currently looking to replace a 6 year old rig that's still running strong for basic use but needs refreshing for any next gen titles. As my priorities have changed massively after becoming a father and not spending half as much time on a PC as I used to, I was looking to limit myself to about £1000 and was HOPING to build something that will at least hold it's own for 2 years minimum and run things like (firstly) Borderlands 3, potentially new Elder Scrolls when announced, Cyber punk etc. The build below is based around a Scan XS customer 1660 build but swapped out a few parts and improved the processor (i think)

Reviews for the 1660TI seem good enough and picked the processor on Bench marking vs rating vs price ratio.

Revised version

I would love your feedback on anything that is great/awful and any tweaks that may be required. Also anywhere where shelling out another £50 would be advantageous. Honesty is good as if I'm parting with a grand it needs to be a good decision and reviewed by people much more in the know than myself.

Peripherals not required.

Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor | £218.99 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler | be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler | £19.99 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard | MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | £71.99 @ CCL Computers
Memory | Kingston HyperX Predator 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | £81.58 @ Amazon UK
Storage | Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £97.97 @ CCL Computers
Video Card | MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card | £377.97 @ CCL Computers
Case | Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case | £51.15 @ CCL Computers...

Readycheck

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
Purchased below. 1/2 from Scan, 1/2 from Amazon. For an extra £15 I swung towards the MSI mobo just to avoid any risk of me not being able to update it or something and being forced to ask for help again. Hopefully it was a sensible decision. Thank you both for your input.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7WbDr6

Total cost £1044.38 (with shipping and DVD drive included)

Last edited:

Readycheck

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2014
After purchasing a DVD drive (primarily to install Windows really) I noticed the Corsair 275R has no optical bays to fit a DVD drive...

Does this mean you are forced to use USB drives for installations? I know I'm getting old but didn't realize DVD drives were so obsolete.

EDIT - Apparently Google just says to use USB drive for installing things. I guess it's only Windows I even have on a disk anymore. That's that then. God I feel ancient. Thank god I didn't buy a new Windows disk lol.

Last edited:
Yes USB is the norm nowadays...
I still use DVDs and CDs a lot though, as I play quite a few old games. If you ever come across a time when you need to use the DVD drive, you could just open the side of the case and put the DVD drive on top of the PC and plug it in, or put it on the ground if the cables are too short.