£1000 Gaming PC - build ready?

Anthony OBrien

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
So, as the title suggests I am going to be building a £1000 pounds (absolute top limit) and as far as I can tell I have finished with picking all the parts and now it just comes to buying it.

So before I do this I want to check that I have selected all parts that are the best for my price limit. I am going to be as comprehensive here with my intentions for the PC and why I picked each part.

So what will I be doing with the PC? Well I am going to be mainly Gaming at 1080p single monitor preferably at max settings but I am not entirely fussed if I need to turn down a bit to get a smooth framerate (personally I like a framerate of 60 for FPS but I am okay with 30 as a bare minimum, and any other game I am happy with 30). On top of gaming I will also be recording gameplay, streaming gameplay, as well as editing those videos and 1080p camera footage. As far as this goes render times will not be a big issue to me as I can just leave it to render as I do other stuff.

Also a more... Personal and minor issue is, well I would like it to be a black/white colour scheme. Though if the cost to do this would be to high I will just scrap it and go all utilitarian.

So without further ado here is the build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£143.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£87.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£68.45 @ Dabs)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£71.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£69.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (£251.68 @ Dabs)
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£95.65 @ Ebuyer)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£59.99 @ Aria PC)
Total: £939.48
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-18 21:22 GMT+0000)

So let's go through this top to bottom:

CPU: So for this a big thing is the price to performance. It is a good price at £143 and can perform very well especially compared to Intel CPU's of a higher price. Alternatively I am considering the fx-8320.

CPU Cooler: I intend to be overclocking the CPU just to squeeze as much performance as possible out of it, now this obviously means the stock cooler wont be good enough, now I was considering the Coolermaster 212, but I personally don't like the way they look (Obviously if I can save the money here and upgrade somewhere else I will) and the H100i does have very good temperatures.

Motherboard: Now the motherboard is something that i could never really fit my head around, but someone from some forum that I can't remember said this one would suit my needs and it is black so it would fit with the black/white theme. I am entirely open to being told I am stupid and what I should actually get when it comes to this.

Memory: I have heard good things about Corsair RAM, it's DDR3-1600 8GB (2x4) which is about all I should need, at least to start with, and it is just about the only white RAM I can find.

Storage: Now with this I only really need an SSD and at that it only needs to be small as I already have, and intend to use, a 2TB drive for primary storage. The reason I want an SSD here is for OS and for primary applications (photoshop, sony vegas, etc), that or OS and then partition the rest off as a cache for the HDD to give that a boost. As for the drive itself I have heard good things about it and it's a good price.

Video Card: So I was looking around for cards that would give me good performance at a good price, and this card seemed to fit. It is just a few frames below a GTX 780 (Stock) and it is only around £250. Now part of the reason this stand out to me is that I am quite excited for Mantle, with Thief and Star Citizen (2 games I am really looking forward to) having said they will be using Mantle I should get better performance. Also at that price point I can get another one in a couple of months, crossfire and go 3x1080p monitors.

Case: I like it... Everything should fit in it... Pretty simple really, though there are other cases I have my eye on.

PSU: As far as this goes it is really 4 things. First, fully modular, I just want to get rid of those extra cables. Second, I have heard great things about Corsairs PSU's. Third, it has a white sleeved cable kit. Fourth, it being 750w would give me room for expansion, though maybe I could push it to a 650w.

OS: I just kinda default to 7 as that is what I know, but I have heard good things about 8 as long as you can work around the Metro thing (personal preference, I don't like it without a touchscreen).

So that was a pretty long post, if you made it this far I congratulate you and thank you. if you were looking for the TL;DR, well, it all boils down to:
1. Absoloute max of £1000.
2. Gaming/Editing PC.
3. That build up there, is it poop or woop? (I don't know why I said that either)

So now we hit the end I want to say thank you to everyone whom has helped me learn, and to Tom's Hardware in general for being an excellent resource.

EDIT: If I missed anything yell at me and I will fix it.

Solution
Seems practically all good to me, just some minor objections.

Motherboard: I'd change that. For overclocking like you are, I'd defenatly go with an Asus board. It all depends on how much more you want to spend. If you can spend a total of £95 on it, I'd absolutely go with the Asus M5A99X Evo r2.0. Fantastic board, great overclocking and good support from Crossfire.

GPU: I'd personally go for the MSI R9 280X Gaming OC edition, it comes for a low price of £225 packed with excellent features. It's make of military grade components, which will ensure you many years of safe overclocked gaming without even thinking of it failing. And the main feature of MSI's gaming serie is the Twon Frozr cooling fans, which are probably the best cooling...

Slimesh

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
Seems practically all good to me, just some minor objections.

Motherboard: I'd change that. For overclocking like you are, I'd defenatly go with an Asus board. It all depends on how much more you want to spend. If you can spend a total of £95 on it, I'd absolutely go with the Asus M5A99X Evo r2.0. Fantastic board, great overclocking and good support from Crossfire.

GPU: I'd personally go for the MSI R9 280X Gaming OC edition, it comes for a low price of £225 packed with excellent features. It's make of military grade components, which will ensure you many years of safe overclocked gaming without even thinking of it failing. And the main feature of MSI's gaming serie is the Twon Frozr cooling fans, which are probably the best cooling system on GPU's. Finally, you can overclock a your MSI cards using an application called MSI Afterburner, splendid and very easy to use, you can get much more performance out of your card.

I'd strongly advise you to change the MOBO, I've heard many negative reviews about those boards. And for the card that's your opinion, check out the MSI one since it's great.

Good luck with your build!
If this helper you please out this a Best Answer!

Solution

Anthony OBrien

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

So with the motherboard, I will change to the Asus one, only issue is it's not black/white D: (Not a big deal I suppose)

And as for the GPU, I had a look at the MSI (as well as the Asus ones) and it does seem better for the cooling, and of course better cooling = better longevity, plus looking into MSI afterburner, that seems to be a nice way to control everything.

So here is the current state of it: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/24tsO

Slimesh

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
Nice to see you liked my subjections!
Everything seems good, and as sora said you CAN go with the Sapphire Toxic, even though I wouldn't since I've got something for MSI cards, and they're much cheaper too. The Sapphire performs a bit better, but you'll be able to obtain those perfs when overclocking with the afterburner.

Anthony OBrien

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
It's nice to see that I haven't just completed messed this up! as far as the MSI vs Toxic goes, I guess that that does come to personal preference... Well we will see what happens when I actually come to hitting the buy button.

I will leave the question up until the end of the day, if there are no further additions I will pick a best answer.

Thanks for your help!