Question £3000 PC Freeze after startup

rezaul1996

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
I have had this build for almost 2 years now, the last few months I have run into an issue, where after startup and 2-5 minutes later regardless of what I'm doing the PC would show signs of lag and then freeze. I have tried dozens of resolutions which I will mention but first I'll put down the specs of the PC.

CPU: AMD 1600x
RAM: hyperX 2x4GB
Mobo: Asus Strix B350-F
GPU: GTX 1070ti FE
Boot drive: Crucial BX300
PSU: Corsair 500M

Troubleshooting I have tried:

• Unchecked Fast Startup in power settings
  • Restored windows 10
  • Reinstalled windows 10
  • Reset BIOS
  • Checked RAM via OS software and trying single sticks at a time
  • Replaced SSD
  • Re-seated CPU and applied new thermal paste
  • Used different GPU
  • adjusted RAM voltage in BIOS

The only time I have managed to eradicate the freezing problem is when I go to msconfig and disable all services. However this leaves me with a £3000 brick. I NEED HELP! I've been at it for 3 months now. What else can I try?

Hmm. The only thing I can see is the PSU. What the exact model? You've done pretty much all the diagnosis, and the only thing left really is the PSU. It's possible it could be a mobo issue, but can't be sure yet.

Also, (I'm not trying to sound rude), but if you paid that much for that system you were totally ripped off, even two years ago 😕 I've something very similar to you. I also bought 2 years ago. Mine cost half as much with a little bit on top.

Run an instance of HWMon, and take a screenshot of it, and post it here so we can have a look at your hardware as it's working on the fly.

Reactions: rezaul1996

rezaul1996

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
The power supply is the CX500M by Corsair. Sorry my whole setup is around that roughly, including monitor and peripherals. How do I try and troubleshoot the PSU. Also I remember reading somewhere that a damaged chipset can cause this also but not entirely sure.

Damaged chipset, wouldn't really cause that issue. Maybe a faulty PCIe slot (the one where your GPU goes. You could try cleaning that out with compressed air. then reseat the GPU. And try again. Make sure the power connectors to GPU are in correctly. There should be 1 x 8 pin for that GPU. Try replacement cables for the GPU to your monitor.

CX500 is a bit low for that GPU! Recommended is a 500w PSU, and the CX although not bad, is not great. It's very possible the PSU is not supplying enough power. For piece of mind, i'd be wanting a decent 600w in there, to allow for OC'ing. But if you don't OC then a good 550w would do fine.

You could try get a lend off a friend for the PSU? Only other way than that is to get a new one. You're in the UK right?

Something like this would be excellent for your build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 (EU) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£70.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £70.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-22 19:00 GMT+0000

rezaul1996

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Thanks, I will defo give everything you suggested a try. I'm certain the GPU seating is fine and the power cables are connected well but will check this again. I have tried different display cables also, same issue :(
in terms of psu 500w has been working fine for me for the past 2 years but will try a replacement one just in case this ones failing 💪

Thanks, I will defo give everything you suggested a try. I'm certain the GPU seating is fine and the power cables are connected well but will check this again. I have tried different display cables also, same issue :(
in terms of psu 500w has been working fine for me for the past 2 years but will try a replacement one just in case this ones failing 💪

Cool, let us know how you get on.

rezaul1996

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
I just received my new power supply and no difference sadly, really frustrated with all this troubleshooting 😭
as soon as startup happened it froze again. I am out of ideas, the last thing i can think of is that there is a motherboard issue.
BTW thanks to all that are giving me a hand, i really appreciate it. I'm open to any other suggestions :)

rezaul1996

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
hi, everyone. Thanks all for the support. I have found the problem and seemed to have resolved it. The PCIe Network card was causing the problem and I seemed to have found this out through sheer luck as its not something I'd assume to be causing problems like this. I borrowed a MOBO and installed all the components i believe to be working correctly but forgot to install my network card. After 30 mins of perfect running I realised I had no network connection, so I installed my network card onto the borrowed MOBO and the problems reoccurred. I now have a new network card and all is well.

Thanks to everyone who has given me a hand!
Much appreciated. :)

hi, everyone. Thanks all for the support. I have found the problem and seemed to have resolved it. The PCIe Network card was causing the problem and I seemed to have found this out through sheer luck as its not something I'd assume to be causing problems like this. I borrowed a MOBO and installed all the components i believe to be working correctly but forgot to install my network card. After 30 mins of perfect running I realised I had no network connection, so I installed my network card onto the borrowed MOBO and the problems reoccurred. I now have a new network card and all is well.

Thanks to everyone who has given me a hand!
Much appreciated. :)

Excellent. Glad you got it sorted in the end :)

TRENDING THREADS