“LaCie Hard Disk, Design by Neil Poulton” won't format

jeremynichols

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
I have a “LaCie Hard Disk, Design by Neil Poulton” 1TB USB-2 (only) hard drive (purchased in 2010) that won't format. Windows 10 recognizes it and says it needs to be formatted but fails to complete the format process. (I suspect I accidentally disconnected it in the middle of an operation.) I DO NOT need to recover the data. The local computer repair people say it's not worth the cost to repair. The drive inside the black plastic case is a Hitachi, which I hate to throw away if it's salvageable. Can anyone recommend a software package that I can rent/buy/borrow that might be able to restore this drive?

Solution
Hi there jeremynichols,

That is really unpleasant. :(

What happens when you try to format it? Do you get some kind of an error message?
I believe you can try to test the drive with some of these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
After that, you can upload a screenshot of the SMART report to an image hosting website and post the link.

I believe you've tried using a different USB cable right? You can try the drive on another computer as well.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there jeremynichols,

That is really unpleasant. :(

What happens when you try to format it? Do you get some kind of an error message?
I believe you can try to test the drive with some of these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
After that, you can upload a screenshot of the SMART report to an image hosting website and post the link.

I believe you've tried using a different USB cable right? You can try the drive on another computer as well.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution

jeremynichols

Commendable
Aug 28, 2016
Thanks for the advice. I moved the drive to an old Win-XP laptop and a different USB cable. The laptop recognized the drive ("I've seen you someplace before . . . ") and was able to format it. I then copied some files from the laptop to the drive and was able to use them. So, it seems the drive has risen from the dead! I will also experiment with the forum's collection of disk test routines.

Jeremy