Question “Reboot and select proper Boot device” after installing Windows 10

Dec 25, 2022
I have a custom-built gaming PC and have installed Windows 10 on many different SSDs over the years, but have never run into this issue. I used the media creation tool on my laptop to install windows setup onto a bootable USB drive. I then plug said USB drive into my PC which only has one empty nvme m.2 ssd installed. I go through the windows setup process as normal and install Windows onto my m.2 SSD. As soon as the installation finishes and the PC is about to restart, I unplug the USB drive with the windows installation media on it (If I leave it plugged in, the PC boots back to the beginning of the windows 10 setup process, causing an infinite loop). Upon rebooting, I am met with a black screen that says “Reboot and select proper Boot device.” I restart my computer and enter the bios to ensure that the SSD with windows installed on it is the boot priority, which it is. I then make sure that CSM is disabled, fast boot is disabled, and SATA mode is set to AHCI. I have tried everything but can’t get past the part during the windows installation process where the computer restarts. I have looked through countless threads like these and articles to no avail, but hoping someone can help me out. I’m also 100% sure that the m.2 SSD and the USB drive I’m using are not defective or installed improperly. I have even tried using a separate m.2 SSD and a separate USB drive and the issue persists.
Edit: I fixed the issue by switching my SSD to a separate m.2 socket on my motherboard.

Last edited:
Boot from windows installation media into command prompt,
execute following commands ans show screenshot
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
Note. If you installed windows in legacy mode, and disabled CSM after that, then you can not boot into windows anymore.

Dec 25, 2022
Boot from windows installation media into command prompt,
execute following commands ans show screenshot
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume
Note. If you installed windows in legacy mode, and disabled CSM after that, then you can not boot into windows anymore.
I appreciate your swift reply but thankfully I fixed the issue by switching my SSD to a separate m.2 slot on my motherboard. It appears that only one of the sockets on my board is actually bootable.