Question “regsvr32.exe” process hogging CPU prevents crackling sound in audio

DVS75

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
I have a crackling sound while playing audio, this happens in all programs (YouTube videos in Firefox, MPC Player, Groove, Winamp, etc.), both in audio and video files.

However, when a regsrv32 process is running, the crackling sound totally disappears! It does take some CPU though (about 50 per cent usage) – that is how I noticed the process.

Should I kill the process, substantial crackling sounds appear, some music (with low recording level) even becomes totally unlistenable. So I keep this process running :).

When I hover the mouse over “regsvr32.exe” in Process Explorer, it shows the executable responsible for the process:
"{DBABE1C7-7B49-6C43-B168-F9E02F85A545}" file in "C:\ProgramData\3B528976-FE66-29E6-97F2-1E709425E998" folder (I have attached a screenshot).
Googling the names, understandably, has not brought any results.

Please let me know how I can correct the problem – play music with no crackling and regsrv32 process not loading the CPU.

The system is Windows 10 Professional 64-bit.

Thank you!

regsrv32hog.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
registry service... its not a process i would rush to stop as who knows what might happen.

Regsvr32 is a command-line utility to register and unregister OLE controls, such as DLLs and ActiveX controls in the Windows Registry. Regsvr32.exe is installed in the %systemroot%\System32 folder in Windows XP and later versions of Windows.

RegSvr32.exe has the following command-line options:
Regsvr32 [/u] [/n] [/i[:cmdline]] <dllname>

/u - Unregister server

/i - Call DllInstall passing it an optional [cmdline]; when it is used with /u, it calls dll uninstall
/n - do not call DllRegisterServer; this option must be used with /i

/s – Silent; display no message boxes

Try doing a clean boot and see if it helps remove the noise - Make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

I misread and thought you wanted to stop reg service. Above might help anyway.

DVS75

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
It was adware, I knew about it. The reason for regsrv32 hogging most probably was poor programming in the adware which prevented it from registering with the server, but it continued to try it in a loop.

So I cleaned the computer from it using Malwarebytes, CPU usage dropped and crackling sounds appeared again.

This problem was before the adware - from the beginning (I use the system for about half year).

If I plug in a laptop instead of this workstation, using exactly the same peripherals (monitor, speaker, keyboard, mouse, MFC), there is absolutely no crackling sound in speakers.

So the problem now can be formulated as "high CPU usage (50%+) prevents crackling sounds in speakers".

MetaTraders, they are always running, cause most of the crackling sounds. But it should not be so, these programs run fine everywhere. And only high CPU usage can save me from these sounds so far.

Please let me know what I can try.

Thank you.

Last edited:

DVS75

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2012
Yes, all problems have been solved. There are no foreign sounds in speakers since then and CPU usage is low.

May be I am splurging on electricity, but I need music all the time :).

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS