[SOLVED] “Reset this PC” stoping and going into boot options

Sep 17, 2020
So, I have two HDs, one internal and one external, i've had them for quite some time and needed to clean them, the external one was easy, and in there I have the Windows installer, now I need to clean the internal HD, but i don't really want to install Windows again, so i thought about the "Reset this PC", however at about one third of the reset, it just stops and goes to the Windows 10 boot options, I've tried many things at this point, they include: Scaning the entire internal HD looking for corrupted .dll files using sfc /scannow both on the command prompt run by administrator and the one on the boot options; set the computer to clean boot and tried to reset; disabled and enabled again the recovery environment agent using command prompt. None of those did anything and the reset still seems to stop at the same percentage (~31%).

Somethings worth mentioning are: My computer was filled with virus which I just recently scanned with MalwareBytes and (i think) deleted them all, if it is of any use, there were about 1500 detections; I haven't tried anything involving hardwares/physical parts; my PC was built, so if i did have to completely erase the internal HD, I'd also have to install a lot of drivers and programs; i'm using Windows 10.

Basically, I want to know what is causing the reset problem and how i can succesfully reset my PC. If possible i'd like to know if it is easier to reset the PC, just erase the internal HD, or some other option. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Ideally its better to run sfc or dism inside windows and not from the boot options. It will have more access inside windows.

open CMD (with admin access)
type
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
and press enter

the spacing is important, it won't work otherwise. then re run sfc after dism as if it couldn't fix everything before, it should be able to now.

if dism comes back with an error regarding Source, the fix is only possible if you are on version 2004 of win 10. Hence why I asked about which version you are on now. Win 10 gets updated for free every 6 months with a new version number.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 2004

I could just see the failures but I often find a clean install is easier than a reset. I have seen resets delete everything off drives. I have seen them fail at 31% and later.

SFC/DISM scans could fix it, I see you ran SFC but no mention of dism, which is the tool that fixes the image that Reset uses to reinstall win 10.

I would backup everything you want to save on the internal drive onto the external and do a clean install, if you haven't done that after the virus. As the virus could be reason reset won't work now.

Sep 17, 2020
what version of win 10 are you on?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 2004

I could just see the failures but I often find a clean install is easier than a reset. I have seen resets delete everything off drives. I have seen them fail at 31% and later.

SFC/DISM scans could fix it, I see you ran SFC but no mention of dism, which is the tool that fixes the image that Reset uses to reinstall win 10.

I would backup everything you want to save on the internal drive onto the external and do a clean install, if you haven't done that after the virus. As the virus could be reason reset won't work now.
Thank you for answering the question! I do have a backup on my external HD, everything that'll be deleted will be trash. Sorry for having to ask but i'm not very good with programming, do you mean i should type dism/ scannow on the command prompt? The one on boot options or the one run by administrator? Thanks in advance.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ideally its better to run sfc or dism inside windows and not from the boot options. It will have more access inside windows.

open CMD (with admin access)
type
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
and press enter

the spacing is important, it won't work otherwise. then re run sfc after dism as if it couldn't fix everything before, it should be able to now.

if dism comes back with an error regarding Source, the fix is only possible if you are on version 2004 of win 10. Hence why I asked about which version you are on now. Win 10 gets updated for free every 6 months with a new version number.

Solution