Question “Some settings are managed by your system administrator” but I'm running as admin

Vinton

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
I did a fresh install of Win 10 Pro on a new build, and in some settings and config windows it's preventing me from changing the settings, showing “Some settings are managed by your system administrator” -- even when logged in as admin?

For example when I run sysdm.cpl to change system properties, many selections are grayed out and changing others brings up that error message. Oddly, this doesn't happen in Windows update settings, even though other users experience that.

I went through gpedit.msc and couldn’t find any settings that weren’t “not configured”, e.g. no limitations seem to be enabled as policy settings. I've tried the recommended tricks for this issue, like editing gpedit.msc (turning telemetry on then off, etc.) Still can't edit settings on my own computer.

I’m using Bitdefender Anti Virus (paid), and some forums say that if it is allowed to use a “work” profile it prevents changes. However, I have Bitdefender profiles turned off, and I still get the issue if I turn Bitdefender off completely.

My copy of Win was bought as a retail copy from Newegg and isn't sketchy/grey market. For the installation, I made fresh install media from the Windows site so it would have updates, and then entered the product key after setup.

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
CPU: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12600K, 3700 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 1403, 30-Mar-22
BIOS Mode: UEFI
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI Rev 1.xx
RAM: 2X16GB Kingston Fury Beast 5600 MHz DDR5
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 2280 NVMe 1TB

Last edited:

Vinton

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
That sometimes happens after a reinstall or major feature update. I've seen it on my systems.
It goes away in a day or two, or after a reboot.

Where did your Win 10 Pro license come from originally?

As mentioned in my original post my copy of Windows was a physical retail copy bought directly from Newegg. I made fresh install media (a USB) from the Windows site, so it would have more recent updates, and then entered the product key after setup.

In my case the issue persisted; it's been 4 days since I last ran Win update and I've rebooted multiple times.

Last edited:

Vinton

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Done.

What specific system properties are you trying to change?
Device Installation Settings (options are grayed out)
Network ID

Are there some specific problems involved?
I want Win updates to include manufacturers' device drivers but the setting is grayed out

How did you go about the "fresh install".

Explained in OP, and matching the recommended steps in the clean install tutorial

As mentioned in my original post my copy of Windows was a physical retail copy bought directly from Newegg. I made fresh install media (a USB) from the Windows site, so it would have more recent updates, and then entered the product key after setup.

In my case the issue persisted; it's been 4 days since I last ran Win update and I've rebooted multiple times.
Do a fresh install of windows.
Do not install any other apps.
Do you still see this grayed out stuff?

Vinton

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
I've noticed that "privacy" apps like "O&O Shutup" and "Spybot Anti-Beacon" do this. Specifically, any app that allows you to disable telemetry or other Windows "features". If you are using any such app, or any "tweaking app", reset all settings to default and see if you still have the issue.

Thanks, I think that's at the root of my issue. After installing Win I ran O&O ShutUp using their recommended settings.

I was able to resolve it (i.e., get back the ability to control all my settings) by deleting some registry keys. I'm still monitoring it and checking around, to make entirely sure.