“The DNS server isn’t responding” After Multiple Attempts to Fix

Jul 14, 2018
Hello all,

I’m going to post this as my options are starting to run low. I use a Razer Blade Stealth (Early 2017, 7200U) as my main computer, and recently I have been having issues with the Internet. The wireless card is a Killer Wireless 1535 Network Adapter. It runs normally for a few seconds to a few minutes, but begins to act choppy and it eventually stops loading for long periods of time before working for a few seconds again, then not working for a long period, and so on. Windows does not drop my connection or say that there is no internet. I have tried to fix my issue based on the usual error coming up, “The DNS server isn’t responding” (and similar), using the methods listed below:

1) Setting DNS to be set automatically for IPv4 and IPv6

2) Using Google’s DNS or Cloudflare’s DNS instead (both IPv4 and IPv6)

3) Reinstalling the drivers

4) Installing bare wireless drivers from Killer’s page

5) Resetting my PC entirely

6) Flushing the DNS

7) Trying all methods on Microsoft’s Event ID 1014 page (found in Event Viewer)

8) Setting my device’s IP to be static and not dynamic

9) Resetting my router/modem’s settings to factory default

None of the above methods have worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Note that the internet works fine as far as I can tell on a different network or on my hotspot, so it might be the modem/router combo somehow).

Thanks in advance!

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
this is not a resolution as much as a diagnosis tool.
Boot to linux, see if you can get the wireless to work in a new environment. this will exonerate or vilify software as the issue, windows or drivers.
if the wireless fails in linux using distinct software and drivers the card is the issue and will need to be replaced/bypassed.

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally am fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.akeo.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the tunmb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
Reboot into linux and proceed to test the hardware. connect to internet, watch videos, await problems.
if linux is good and stable the issue is most likely inside windows or otherwise software related.
this is a test of the hardware.

Jul 14, 2018
I should have mentioned that the internet works fine on a different network and from my personal hotspot, however I will try this to see if the issue is the modem/router or is something with Windows; I have been skeptical to the problem being the card itself.

I'll use Ubuntu for the next few hours and see if there are any issues.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it works elsewhere but not at home? there must be a problem with the router or the card. you have done some great troubleshooting which leave few options.
you can either replace the router and see if that is the issue, or you can replace the card. the problem must lie with one of those or a configuration issue, which I doubt as you have reset the devices.

may also look into a firmware update for your router

Jul 14, 2018
It seems to work fine on Ubuntu, been using it for the past day. I don't think it's the card, but instead is something with Windows somehow. I reset/downloaded the most recent firmware for the gateway while I was back on Windows and I can't tell if it did anything yet. I got the error again on Windows after using Ubuntu before resetting the gateway, which is unsettling..

Edit: It might be my SSD. It's plugged into a usb port on my laptop. I unplugged it, and my connection came back. I plugged it back in, and my connection eventually died. My internet had worked fine 2 weeks ago before I got the SSD, and once I got it I began to have issues. When I used Ubuntu on the boot drive I unplugged the SSD and plugged in the boot drive using its port. I'm going to test it on linux, and if this carries over to there, then we found the issue. If not, then we found the issue on Windows. I'll also try the other port on Windows.

Edit 2: This carries over to Linux aswell. I'm gonna do some digging to see if I can solve it myself, if I do I'll post back here.