[SOLVED] “Undoing changes made your computer...”

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016
As I write this, my laptop is sitting at this screen. It was attempting update Win10 in order to keep it from becoming “unsupported” or something like that. I’m a college student, and really needed to get to class, so I left the building I was in (at 17% after an hour). Got to class, and sat for about 10-15min, still at 17%. I’m pretty sure it froze at that because I lost internet connection, but I’m probably wrong. I shut it down, and then turned it back on thinking it would be fine, now I’ve been sitting here at the “Undoing Changes” screen for probably 10ish minutes. I don’t remember the model of MSI laptop I have, but it’s got an i7-8750H, 8GB DDR4, and a 1050. I really need this laptop to be functioning soon. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
First, do not interrupt the undoing of changes. Let that finish.

Second, if you do not already have an external backup drive and take routine, cyclic full system image backups as well as separate user data backups now is the time to get one and institute that practice.

Then, after having taken those backups, then try:
1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Don't use the Update Assistant on the Windows 10 Download page or Windows Update at this juncture.

Report back on your results.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019

Second, if you do not already have an external backup drive and take routine, cyclic full system image backups as well as separate user data backups now is the time to get one and institute that practice.

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

Don't use the Update Assistant on the Windows 10 Download page or Windows Update at this juncture.

Reactions: Aidan B
Solution

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016

Following step 1, it finished the process and sent me to the login screen after restarting one final time. It seems to be working fine now, but I will definitely be investing in a backup drive, and doing step 3. Thank you for your help!

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Absolutely do not, not, not turn off auto updating.

Microsoft has heard, and responded to, complaints about exactly the situations described by @jsmithepa. As of Version 1903 the end user has a lot more control over exactly when a restart will occur, when needed, and even whether updates will be downloaded and installed.

Most of the worst circumstances I have ever been called upon to assist in clean up after are the direct result of not applying updates because someone made the same recommendation made above. No one has ever said it better, and more accurately, than this:

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them. . . It's important to install all available updates. I've been doing this since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the confidence to pick and choose among updates. There are just too many variables involved - and most people can't evaluate the full consequences of installing/not installing updates.
~ John Carrona, AKA usasma on BleepingComputer.com, http://www.carrona.org/

@Aidan B, please do report back on what you ended up doing as time permits.

Reactions: Aidan B

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016
Absolutely do not, not, not turn off auto updating.

Microsoft has heard, and responded to, complaints about exactly the situations described by @jsmithepa. As of Version 1903 the end user has a lot more control over exactly when a restart will occur, when needed, and even whether updates will be downloaded and installed.

Most of the worst circumstances I have ever been called upon to assist in clean up after are the direct result of not applying updates because someone made the same recommendation made above. No one has ever said it better, and more accurately, than this:

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them. . . It's important to install all available updates. I've been doing this since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the confidence to pick and choose among updates. There are just too many variables involved - and most people can't evaluate the full consequences of installing/not installing updates.
~ John Carrona, AKA usasma on BleepingComputer.com, http://www.carrona.org/

@Aidan B, please do report back on what you ended up doing as time permits.
I hear this complaint about W10, it wants to update you, when you are most busy, can't waste time. Going forward, I would investigate whether turning off auto-update and going manual, at your leisure and control, is feasible under W10. Meanwhile, yeah maintain image backups.

Thank you both for the advice and heads up. I'll keep auto-updating on as this is really the first time I've had an issue with it. I'm not sure when I'll get around to getting an external drive, but the next time a deal pops up on Newegg for one I'll probably buy it. I'll make sure to let you know what ends up happening @britechguy