Question “We can’t sign into your account” Error

Apr 29, 2019
I'm getting this error and I googled solutions and have been at this for over 5 hours and nothing has worked.

It happened after I was running avast cleanup disk check. My D drive had no issues but C drive(SSD) had a bunch of issues listed. So I hit resolve and restart. When it booted up the pc was doing a disk check and repair. Computer then started up and I entered my pin and then it logged me in to a Temp profile and gave me the error message.

All my files are still there and accessible but I can't log into the account, thus I can't access any of my settings. Plus things like bookmarks in the browser can't be accessed from another profile.

Ran chkdsk r and f. Didn't do anything. Ran this solution:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAJpPCJYagI

but it just keeps recreating the same thing as the top comment suggests. One of the first fixes suggested avast as a culprit so I uninstalled both Avast Premier and Cleanup; that didn't work. Also ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. Then sfc /scannow. It gave me the message 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them'. Finally I tried to "Reset this PC" but i gave me an error halfway and no changes were made.

I have created a new profile and it is working but I want to get back on my original one. I wish I could system restore but I just realized that windows 10 has restore points off by default so I have no restore points. Please I am at my wits end. Is there no way to force a log on or something?

Edit: Windows Version
Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.590)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019
Thanks for the suggestion. I am sure I have pinpointed the error now. However I still have no clue how to fix it.
The error correlates with every time I tried to sign in.
It says Event ID 1502 Source User Profile Service
This is the message "Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile.

DETAIL - The configuration registry database is corrupt."

Apr 29, 2019
Each folder in both the users does not match. For example a hitman folder is missing on the new user (I have in Hitman 2016 installed). As for the Avast log, I can't find a log because I uninstalled it. The only thing I could imagine doing is installing it again and trying to run the disk check again.
Upon googling the Event ID 1502, I found this:
"
According to ME960464, this problem occurs because of a race condition in which the Ntuser.dat file of the user cannot be mounted correctly. A hotfix is available to Windows Vista and 2008 however there is a workaround:

To log on to the system by using the user account again, you have to delete the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<User_SID>
To work around this problem, you have to disable roaming user profiles on the client computer.
"

Might this help? I am not sure how I will be able to get into my desired profile if I delete the key.

Last edited by a moderator: