Oct 12, 2018
Hey guys!
First time posting here.
I have pretty old build :
• i5-3570K OC'd ( stock cooler )
• 8GB Hyperblu DDR3
• GTX 970
• Z77A-G41 Motherboard

I work with Lumion, a rendering software, and with architecture programs. I Also play abit of VR from time to time on my HTC Vive, but my pc doesn't seem to have the horsepower anymore for neither of the tasks mentioned. What would be a good upgrade? I've had a offer to sell my GTX 970 for 100£ and buy a GTX 1080TI for 400£.
I use a 1080p monitor, should I upgrade to 1440p instead?

• Have around 250£ saved up, what parts should I sell and what should I upgrade?
Thanks for sparing the time to read this!

I think it's a pretty well matched system as is.

I think about the max GPU you will be able to go with that CPU is the 1070 Ti and I think even that might even get bottlenecked by the i5....but I still might go that route.

...and you didn't mention if you had an HDD or SSD.....but if you don't have an SSD I'd definitely get one.

Other than that....I'd look at upgrading the whole thing.

What's your entire budget for this upgrade?

Because a stronger GPU won't help you run your programs better. You won't get anything better past a GTX 1060 6Gb in terms of graphic quality for your architecture programs. Even at 1440p. Maybe you could get a 1070 if you want 4k but I think the 1060 6Gb could even be enough. Because technically you'd want a Quadro or a Titan, which are specially made for people in your industry.

A CPU upgrade will take you much much further! Specially if you're running CAD and other types of 3-D and rendering software. Even better, go for a Ryzen CPU, which has a superior multi-threaded performance, which is what desktops like yours thrive on.

What's your budget?