Question ≥ Gbps for my PC.

Gaogier

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
Hello

according to sam knows, my speed to my router is greater than 1Gbps, anyway the router has a 2.5gbps Ethernet output, this cable goes to my Apple AirPort Extreme 6th gen, then I have 2 Ethernet cables 1 that goes directly into my PC, and another goes into a switch allowing me to hard wire things like my Xbox one, Xbox 360, and some other bits.

my motherboard is 1Gbps port, and I am not planning to upgrade my PC this year, unless I get more ram. Anyway the house was rewired with high speed cat7a. So, I plan to get a PCIE card for Ethernet ≥ 2.5gbps. So, as the airport is 1 gbps ports, I will need to add a new switch or can I get away with a rj45 splitter 1in2out? What is the best way to do this? By this I mean cheapest way. I know 10gb switches are very expensive at the moment, not sure when they will come down in price to reasonable pricing.

can you help me get the best speed?

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"high speed cat7a."

Who installed the cable, where was the cable purchased?

Wall jacks, patch panels?

Full cable specs? What is printed along the length of the cable?

Take some photographs of the cable, devices, installation and post the photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Be careful to not reveal any personally identifying information.

You may need switches but not splitters.

However, all may be moot if the installed cable is not up to the correct specs and properly installed.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you are concerned about such things as file transfer, it will only go as fast as the weakest link in the chain. As far as internet access, there is little reason to consider having a system capable of more than it can offer when not considering internal transfers of large files, or possibly when trying to watch super high quality video streams.

Basically, the new wiring doesn't mean much if the rest of the system hasn't been changed. It should work just as before.

Reactions: Grobe

Gaogier

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
Hello

sorry for being away… not been too well… anyway…

I am adding pictures of The way the house is wired.

so, a man from virgin media told me the cable I need to future proof the house, as I had old cables with bits of new… i had cat 5 running most of the house, and was paying for 300mbps, so we upgraded everything to cat 7a, from cables to rj45 connections.
we have Ethernet switches downstairs and upstairs.

got the new hub 5 last year, with speeds about 1.15 to 1.2 (according to samknows)

What is the best way to attach picture?

I also have a PCIE card adapter in my Amazon basket for a Ethernet port

What is the exact brand name, model and purchased year of that hub ?

I ask because a hub is very rare to find in a private house. It's most normal to use an ethernet switch in order to extend the network.

Gaogier

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
The hub is virgin media’s hub 5.

we had a broken hub 3 since hub 3 came out, sometime maybe 2015?2016?

I can’t remember when they installed the cat5 cable, but it was some 20years ago, maybe done by NTL back in 2001, but not sure if the cat5 cables were out then…

downstairs there is no need to have 1Gbps +, so I am happy to keep that switch, the upstairs I am happy with those too, just wanting to have my pc run as fast as possible as it does quite a lot.

I was paying for 500mbps before but wasn’t getting past 100 before the upgrade to cat 7a then the new hub has made my ”outside” hubs obsolete, so that is a huge plus, I had to put a wired AirPort Extreme 1st gen, outside, then use 2 AirPort Expresses to extend the internet halfway down my garden, now the hub has my home fully covered. Just wanting my PC to run as fast as it can on both internal and internet speeds.

The hub is virgin media’s hub 5.
Aha, that make sense, of course it is a media hub. A "media hub" is not the same as a "hub", although menton of different speed by different ports should already ruled out a plain hub.

then let's focus on the actual question
So, I plan to get a PCIE card for Ethernet ≥ 2.5gbps. So, as the airport is 1 gbps ports, I will need to add a new switch or can I get away with a rj45 splitter 1in2out? What is the best way to do this?
To be honest, I'd never used anything beyond 1Gbps at home, but in practice more speed sets higher requirement to the cable. So I'd not recommend any RJ45 splitter on this.

Gaogier

Commendable
Jan 4, 2021
Okay, so would a 2.5Gbps switch be okay to use?

They call it a hub… well virgin media does… if it’s not a hub why call it that it confuses people.

So what is technically a hub?

First what plan do you pay your ISP for. Does the plan run to 2.5g or is 1g or is it some other value.

You likely don't need anything faster than 1gbit.

Lets say you get a 2.5gbit connection. It will not make games run better, web pages run any different or say netflix run better.
The only thing it does is let you download faster. So it will take less time to download from say steam.

First how many hours in each day are you downloading stuff. Does saving say 5 minutes a month in download time justify all the effort it is going to take to get a network faster than 1gbit.

In addition many site like steam seldom will download at those very high rates. I have gigabit internet and many times steam only uses maybe half that. Not sure if this is because steam has a artificial limit or it has a lot of load on the download servers.

But if you are really going to do this all you need is a 2.5g switch. You need to remove the apple router since it only has gigabit ports.

Reactions: Gaogier