0.13u makes Tech-heads Happy

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
I can't be bothered following those other threads... too much dribble.

Can we please discuss what the article presents us for the future!

What excited me was the ease in which the OC was made on the stock standard CPU, a 37% increase with out even trying that hard. Remember that this is very early in the manufacturing process and alot of improvements will be made over the next few months.

This review shows the benefits of going to the 0.13u manufacturing process. Another barrier has been broken and Moore's law lives on for another year which is good for all of us.

For me this means I can now get a power processor without the need to install a cooling system that sounds like a jet engine.

What does the move to 0.13u mean to you and what will you do with it?

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:

G

>What does the move to 0.13u mean to you and what will you
>do with it?

For now: absolutely nothing. .13 is supposed to decrease heat and power problems, increase clock speeds, but most of all, bring down prices. Still waiting for that last part to happen. I'll be waiting for thouroughbred...

btw, .13 is nothing revolutionnary, its just evolution. Nothing new when compared from going from .5 to .35 to .25 to .18.. etc.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
~ btw, .13 is nothing revolutionnary, its just evolution. Nothing new when compared from going from .5 to .35 to .25 to .18.. etc. ~

Not true, the above shrinks were achieved by reducing the stepper size on the lithography equipment. They had to use phase shifting optical techniques to get to 130nm as they never managed to produce 193nm steppers (They currently 258nm steppers).

<font color=blue> Smoke me a Chip'er ... I'll be back in the Morgan </font color=blue> :eek:

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
For me 0.13u means cooler CPU's, which means I can make quieter computers. I'm a big fan of quiet computers.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
If you want truly quiet, might I recommend you invest in a water-cooling system. They generally move without much trouble to any new system you purchase, so it is a one-time purchase for all your future systems throughout your lifetime. This makes it a good buy.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Put aside $20 / month and you will be able to afford it in less than a year most likely. It will save you money on purchasing new HSFs for every new system and will offer you greatly reduced noise. Just something to think about...

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
or get a nice 60-->80 fan adapter and a nice quiet 80mm fan. i think that's what i'm looking at. even this volcano 6cu is starting to irritate me. i never thought it would bother me, noise that is, (going from dual p3 st1 850's to xp1700). the next purchase will have noise level figured in heavily. if it means spending a bit more for an intel setup to run cool and quiet then that's fine. ray, what are the stock intel hsf rated at?

[insert philosophical statement here]

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
I have a Enermax Whisper PSU with two fans, one at 25dB and the other at 27dB, yet it's quieter than my two 80mm fans (one on the CPU, and one as a case fan) which a supposed to be 20dB. You can't hear the fans themselves, but you can hear the air being pushed through the heatsink.
I guess I'll have to try water cooling next time I upgrade, I'll be working full time before then anyway so I guess I'll be able to afford it.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."