Question 0 Mbs Issue

Jul 16, 2021
Okay so for about 2 weeks now I’ve been having a fairly odd issue with my internet, and it is the complete opposite of what you’d think. When I am disconnected from my VPN (PIA) I get 0mbs upload speed but when I connect I get my normal speed which is 10. I’m running Windows 10 with the latest update.

What I don't understand is how you even manage to get speedtest run and see a download rate.

If upload is actually zero then that means you can send no data and that should include the actual message to tell speedtest to run the download test. I could see if you get no access at all because all upload is blocked but if anything even partially works then you are getting upload traffic. If it is only speedtest that does this I would try another testing site. Speedtest at times has done this to me but it random and it is only the speedtest site that says it can't upload. I figured one of my ad or script blockers was causing it.

In any case this has to be the VPN client since it runs fine when the vpn is up. I would try to uninstall the vpn and see if it fixes your problems. Check with the ROUTE PRINT command that your default route goes to the gateway IP. PIA is pretty good and it "should" uninstall cleanly.

It is issues like this that made me never load vpn clients into windows. I had a similar issue where a vpn client messed up something in windows and I just gave up and reinstalled. I now run all vpn only on my route.