[SOLVED] 0% on 40C and 100% on 70C for RX 580 is it okay?

Nov 5, 2019
Hello guys, I just tried a fan curve in MSI Afterburner for RX 580 and it seems to work very efficient. I'm getting not more than 55C in AAA titles. But want to ask you guys that is it okay to have as aggressive fan curve like this?

CPU = i7 4790K
PSU = CX600m
GPU = MSI Armor RX 580 8G

Solution
It's fine, yes.
You may be reducing the lifespan of your fans a little - ramping up from nothing to (potentially) 100% in a short space of time. Ultimately though, a lot of GPUs have "zero rpm" modes up to about 40-50'C stock from the factory, and they do start to climb pretty aggressively. You should be fine for long-term use like that.

Out of curiosity.... If you don't see >55'C, then you shouldn't be seeing much beyond ~30% fan speed. Is that audible to you?
If not, a lower end of 25-30% fan speed (opposed to zero) would likely keep you operating a little cooler, and see your fans remain in a steady(ish) state.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's fine, yes.
You may be reducing the lifespan of your fans a little - ramping up from nothing to (potentially) 100% in a short space of time. Ultimately though, a lot of GPUs have "zero rpm" modes up to about 40-50'C stock from the factory, and they do start to climb pretty aggressively. You should be fine for long-term use like that.

Out of curiosity.... If you don't see >55'C, then you shouldn't be seeing much beyond ~30% fan speed. Is that audible to you?
If not, a lower end of 25-30% fan speed (opposed to zero) would likely keep you operating a little cooler, and see your fans remain in a steady(ish) state.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Was there anything wrong with the default profile?

FYI there isn't really any benefit from running at 55C compared to say 75C.

Also, you look into undervolting (should be some guides out there if you search for "RX 580 OR 480 undervolt" or similar), especially if you're concerned about temps and/or noise.