Can someone explain what occurs that creates a new user profile in the
Documents and Settings folder with .000 appended to the end - like
mbailey.000?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Bailey wrote:
> Can someone explain what occurs that creates a new user profile in the
> Documents and Settings folder with .000 appended to the end - like
> mbailey.000?

Something (registry/file/etc) in the old profile was deemed "corrupt" and a
new profile was created and/or you joined a new domain, etc.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

For Documents and Settings.000 See this thread
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5575

This explains the .000 & .001
HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314045

-----

If you lose Full Control permissions to your profile folder, in the
%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings folder, Windows 2000 and Windows XP
will create a new one the next time you log on. The new profile is named:

UserName - if the older profile was deleted.

UserName.ComputerName - if the old profile exists.

UserName.ComputerName.000 - if UserName.ComputerName exists.

UserName.ComputerName.001 - if UserName.ComputerName.000 exists.

--MORE--

How do I recovery a lost local user profile?
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4600/rh4631.htm

Windows Rejuvenated
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,119266,pg,3,00.asp

--