0x0000007b after motherboard swap (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmpstr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2008
Hi,

I recently swapped my motherboard to a different one (old: asus p5k, new: asus p5n32-e sli) and now vista refuses to load. It just flashes BSOD and reboots (disabling the automatic restart reveals a STOP 0x0000007b error).

I've searched and searched for all possible fixes, I tried fixing hdc from the ultimate boot cd for windows, I read and tried most of the microsoft's recommendations on the matter. I put in my old motherboard and changed all controllers and drivers to the generic ones before putting in the new motherboard. Nothing seems to fix it. I can't seem to install the new motherboard drivers while my old motherboard is in, because it just says that that particular motherboard (p5k) is not supported by the drivers.

In fact, it got to the point where my second computer (XP) no longer boots (black screen after windows logo) after I tried to copy some drivers to the USB disk to transfer it to the vista computer.

I have an intel quad core processor, 2 sticks of ram (1 gig each), sata harddrive, nvidia 8800 gts graphics card, vista ultimate.

Can someone please point me in the right direction? My main priority is fixing the vista computer, although fixing the XP computer is nice as well. I can't currently reinstall vista, because the DVD is all scratched up and I'm waiting for a new one...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Solution
See 'Method 2'.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

Method 2: The computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer.

1. Start the computer.
2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive and then close the drive tray.
3. Restart the computer.
4. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key.
5. Follow the instructions to install Windows Vista.

If Windows Vista is now running on your computer, you have completed the installation successfully.
See 'Method 2'.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

Method 2: The computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer.

1. Start the computer.
2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive and then close the drive tray.
3. Restart the computer.
4. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press a key.
5. Follow the instructions to install Windows Vista.

If Windows Vista is now running on your computer, you have completed the installation successfully.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.