0x80070057 error when trying to restore system image from an external HDD and bootable USB

quixoticduck

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
Hi, I have posted this thread in the W7 section of the forum also but I think perhaps it is more appropriate here? Nobody has answered me on my other thread anyway. Sorry if I am not supposed to post the same question in two sections of the forums, if so mods can delete whichever is least appropriate.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I've gotten a 0x80070057 error when trying to restore system image an external HDD using a bootable USB as the recovery media.

I found two threads where people have solved this problem but I can't make either solution work.

1) One person used the browse menu which is meant for installing drivers pre-system recovery to eject their bootable DVD and then replace that with their system image DVD because when they used a bootable USB it counted as a disc itself...

I don't have a bootable DVD (back when I tried to create one to install Windows my disc verification kept failing so instead I made a bootable USB which worked fine).

2) The other solution given is to yank out the bootable USB drive (which is accidentally counting as another drive) right before clicking the final restore button.

I can't remember which drives I had connected when I made the system image and someone online with my problem says: "I called MS and they told me that you can't do an image restore unless ALL the drives are exactly as they were. Meaning when I was using my jump drive to initiate the recovery [...] as it was counting that as a drive [...] that was what caused the "the parameter is incorrect; 0x80070057" error" so does this mean that I need to plug in my HDD's? I had removed them for safety in case the restore somehow affected them badly.

Link to my original thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1757841/unplug...

Thank you for any help.

rockman777

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Is your system a EUFI motherboard. Windows will not write to a GPT drive with the GPT structure on it. Windows is "stupid" and does not know how to delete the GPT structure on the drive. I spent 6 days trying to figure out what was going on. I would recommend a good disk manager like Paragon to look at the drive to see if there is a GPT structure on it. The tools in MS do not give you this capability.

quixoticduck

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013

I'm not sure :S I gave up and just did a fresh install. Sorry I didn't reply to your answer until now.