0x9c error - hp dv51008ca

js593

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
Wasnt sure where else to put this, so here we go.

I acquired an HP DV5-1008CA laptop from my cousin, he said, fix it if you can, if not, its yours. 4 months later of tinkering with it, im totally stumped.

Im getting the dreaded 0x9c error (relating to hardware). Here's the catch, I cannot install windows, i cannot get into linux, i cant use Ubuntu... In other words, i cant do anything. So, i did the next best thing, i installed a clean version of W7 on my main pc, and swapped the itty bitty hard drive back into the laptop. Ive done this before on other systems with W7, so i figured id give it a shot. My luck ran out, that didnt work either.

Ive torn this thing apart, up and down, looking for a connection thats fried, or even some simple water damage. There is NO damage to the mainboard that i can see. However.... My cousin calls me a few weeks later, and i get him to explain EXACTLY what he has done with this thing. I found out, he left the laptop usually plugged in on his bed, running.....
We all know HP's are the *** for heat cirulation, so i started to tear it down once more. Me and my friend (a computer tech from long time ago) look for any heat stress marks anywhere on the board, we take it to the microscope, we cant find anything. Pop out the cpu, re-seat it, and slap it back together. Yet we get the same issue.

This 9c error is going to be the bane of my existance... Cause now ive inherited this laptop and want to get it running.

Without being able to get into a stable version of windows i cant preform ANY tests on this laptop. Ive tried every test on Hiren's boot cd, and everything passes. The only test i cannot preform is a video test that would be similar to a windows installed machine. Ive been now looking on this issue for about 6 months, this is the PERFECT little laptop for myself, and he said if i can fix it, i can keep it. He went out and bought a MAC anyways.

So, Anyone have any idea's? Ive covered pretty much every base that i can in a dos/bootable mode.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

-Ninja edit: I should have mentioned, i am in fact able to load MINIXP that comes with Hirens, however, the stuff i can do on that is so limited.

Solution
I know in desktops bad power supplies can cause this but with a laptop the batteries should be giving it clean power but I do know noisy power can cause this error only other thing it can really be since you did memtest and swapped them around is the processor is bad. Since you said he used to leave it laying on his bed on all the time the dam thing might of cooked itself in that case maybe just maybe a new processor might work.

js593

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
I've tried other ram. Used it from another HP (from my parents) No difference. They have a Turion CPU in theirs, i dunno if its that much different from mine, but i guess i could give it a shot.

I know in desktops bad power supplies can cause this but with a laptop the batteries should be giving it clean power but I do know noisy power can cause this error only other thing it can really be since you did memtest and swapped them around is the processor is bad. Since you said he used to leave it laying on his bed on all the time the dam thing might of cooked itself in that case maybe just maybe a new processor might work.

Solution

js593

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008

I know it *may* be the processor, however, i did run a bunch of tests on it, and it never came back with a single error. As i said before, ive run every single test possible on Hiren's cd.

If it is infact the CPU, do you know if the CPU in an HP dv9823ca is the same?

All i can find is the DV5-1008CA has a QL-30 processor, and the DV9823CA has a TL-64 processor, it doensnt say what socket they are.

EDIT:

Ive managed to find the differences in these CPU's, the QL-30 is an S1 socket CPU (S1G2)
the TL-64 is an S1 Socket. From what im seeing, these cpu's are quite identical other then the Tl-64 having a higher frq, and slightly cooler max operating temps.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%20QL-60%20-%20AMQL60DAM22GG.html
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Turion%2064%20X2%20Mobile%20technology%20TL-64%20-%20TMDTL64HAX5CT.html

There are the links provided to the QL-30, and the Tl-64. Also, another thing that was differet was the MFG process, .09MICRON/SOI on the TL64, and .065MICRON/SOI on the QL-30.
Will this matter?

Thanks guys.

js593

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
Issue has been resolved after months of troubleshooting. Bought a CPU for it. Swapped it over, never worked better.

Thanks for your help Saaiello!