Oct 10, 2017
He guys,

First of all my specs:
GPU: GIGABYTE AORUS RX 580 8 GB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3
PSU: Corsair VS 550
Windows 10

Error code: not sure if it is exactly the same everytime but Exeption code is!
Faulting application name: bf1.exe, version: 1.0.54.32003, time stamp: 0x5ae50979
Faulting module name: bf1.exe, version: 1.0.54.32003, time stamp: 0x5ae50979
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000005bb5710
Faulting process id: 0x11e8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3f5c21680037a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 1\bf1.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 1\bf1.exe
Report Id: 99b6ab34-0c29-4113-b38c-d9e5c68a1eba
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

The problem:
Whenever I run Battlefield 1, after 15 minutes or so (sometimes sooner) BF freezes and I get an application error. Specifically saying that BF1 has stopped working and that Windows will notify me when the problem is resolved. After this error I have to ALT+F4 to close BF1. The mouse is moving with 2 fps or something, so it takes to long to click on the button "close program".

I have been playing Battlefield 1 since september 2017 and have never had such a persistent problem. I had some sort of the same problem couple of months ago, which turned out to be corrupted files of Windows after a Windows update.
Interestingly, these current problems also occured after a Windows 10 update. Additionally, I have no problems whatsoever with any other game/program. Also GPU-Z and CPU-Z tells me nothing out of the ordinary in their logs during, before or right after these events.

What I have tried:
Have reboot my pc after every thing I tried.

-Repair Game in Origin;
-Reinstall Origin;
-Reinstall Battlefield 1;
-SFC/Scannow (nothing found);
-(Clean) Updated drivers for GPU;
-Checked for updates for Windows (no updates required):
-Runned DISM.exe (no idea what this is, but found it online somewhere).
-2nd time SFC/Scannow (nothing found).
-did a protection update from Windows virus scanner.
-set affinity for BF1. Let one core for Windows and the rest on BF
-disabled Origin in game overlay (seemed to work, but after one day problems returned)
-Runned Windows Memory Diagnostic
-Runned Memtest86
-sfc/scannow in safe mode
-runned CCcleaner -> then registery cleaner. I found some files, hit 'fixe issue'
-in command prompt chkdsk
-updated BIOS

So for none of the above have worked
Let me know if you need any additional information or of course, have any usefill tips, solutions.

Well, C0000005 typically means that memory got corrupted, so either the OS/Drivers are doing something they shouldn't, or you have a failing RAM module. You can try running memtest86+ to see if it finds any RAM failures; you've done pretty much everything else you can do at this stage.

tjawind

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

tjawind

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Thanks for your reaction. Memtest seemed unnecessary since I can run anything withouth any problem. Except for BF 1. However, turning off the Origin overlay seems to be the solution till now! :bounce:

It's *possible* BF is using RAM in such a way where other apps don't cause the problem. It's also possible closing the Origin UI is freeing up RAM allowing the affected memory regions to not get utilized. You should still probably run memtest when you get the chance, just to be sure nothing is going on.

My last PC had a latent memory error for years; it only showed up maybe once every 2-3 months, but once I bothered to run memtest it turned out that exactly ONE memory address was bad.

tjawind

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Thnx for the heads up, will definitely check it out!

I'm doubting it's memory related, but regardless, a thorough memtest bench is always a good thing to do with any new build to rule out memory problems.

These overlays cause problems in lots of games. It has more to do with a lot of games conflicting with them than anything memory related. Same can happen with Uplay and Steam overlays.

tjawind

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Hey Frag Maniac, unfortunatly the problem returned. To answer it I've done:

-disabled Origin in game overlay (seemed to work, but after one day problems returned)
-Runned Windows Memory Diagnostic
-Runned Memtest86

Unfortunatly, the tests showed no problems

tjawind

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Well, the problem returned so I did run memory test. In fact, first the Windows Diagnostic and then Memtest86 and after that also tried sfc/scannow in safe mode. No problems were found. I am now trying to run CC cleaner, see what comes up...

tjawind

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
After several weeks of problems, the problem was caused by an update of Windows. Appearantly, the update altered something super specific what caused BF1 to have file loss. After a new update of Windows the problem was solved. It is a shame I am not able to play this game untill an update appears from Windows. Not sure who to blame though, EA for not making the game more amendable to Windows updates or Windows for making intrusive updates.......

It's possible Windows updated one of their APIs and it broke something, but most developers code against specific API versions to ensure that never happens. (Note this is why pretty much every game tries to install some version of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package during install.) It's unusual for Windows updates to cause this type of breakage; MSFT is usually *very* careful about that.

TRENDING THREADS