[SOLVED] 0xc000000e when trying to install windows on new SSD

Aug 8, 2019
After a recent hard drive failure I've got a new SSD (1TB 860 evo) and I'm trying to get windows 10 set up on it, but I'm running into an issue. When I boot up the computer I get a windows failed to start error with code 0xc000000e. The SSD has never been used before and has nothing on it, and the boot media was created with a windows 10 iso download from microsoft and Rufus. I've used the USB to install windows successfully in the past, but this machine has an older motherboard: it's an Asus Maximus VI Gene. Is the problem that the USB stick (which worked fine to install windows on a machine with a Z390 motherboard) isn't set up right for use with an older mobo? Or is something else at fault?

Thank you!

Solution
Alright folks, I found the problem. Turns out I had an old SSD plugged in alongside my Samsung 860 evo... a cursed old SSD. I haven't used it in the past, I hooked it up for the first time to get this build working, and it was what was causing the issue. It's a sketchy one: no identifiers on it at all, no labeling or serial number or anything. Left over from a previous machine of my brother's, though I don't think he ever got it working himself.

I realized I was getting the 0xc000000e error when turning the computer on even with the windows 10 boot usb unplugged. I unplugged power and sata from the old SSD, leaving only the 860 evo plugged in, and immediately stopped getting the error. Plugged the USB back in and I was able to install...
So confirm you had windows setup on this computer before the hdd failed, you bought an ssd to replace the failed hdd, and changed to an older motherboard,and now the PC will not boot from and install an older USB installer.

The first thing I would do is create a new USB install media as explained in this link (do not use Rufus, let the Windows 10 Media Creator create your USB installer). https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
This may not be the problem, but it's a place to start. Also make sure the only devices connected to your PC, besides the keyboard and mouse, is your ssd and install USB. I would also check your connects, especially from your PSU.

Aug 8, 2019
Alright folks, I found the problem. Turns out I had an old SSD plugged in alongside my Samsung 860 evo... a cursed old SSD. I haven't used it in the past, I hooked it up for the first time to get this build working, and it was what was causing the issue. It's a sketchy one: no identifiers on it at all, no labeling or serial number or anything. Left over from a previous machine of my brother's, though I don't think he ever got it working himself.

I realized I was getting the 0xc000000e error when turning the computer on even with the windows 10 boot usb unplugged. I unplugged power and sata from the old SSD, leaving only the 860 evo plugged in, and immediately stopped getting the error. Plugged the USB back in and I was able to install windows without any issues.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS