[SOLVED] 0xc0000098 recovery, WITHOUT original Windows DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyderS

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Hi all…
Windows update complained that I had an MBR configured drive, so I used mbr2gpt.exe to change my system to gpt.
Following this, the BSOD for 0xc0000098 File: \BCD is the result.

I am advised to use my installation media to repair, however my disk is in CA, but I’m in Montana for the next month or so.

is there another path to fixing the BCD file while I’m away from home?
PS, I have another windows 10 laptop available, if that can help me. Perhaps I can create an install flash drive or something from it?

Thanks so much.

Solution
USB installer version will be 21H2, its always the latest version of windows 10

boot from installer,
on screen after languages, select repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press Enter. Now pay attention to the disk number and identify which one is the boot disk. Usually, it is Disk 0; if not, find the disk number in your own case and remember to type the correct one in the following relevant steps.

Type select disk 0 and press Enter.
Type list volume and press Enter. Now pay attention to the volume number of the EFI partition.
Type select volume N and press Enter. Also, type the one in your own case instead...

RyderS

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
I have made the bootable USB drive from the media creation tool, but one of the commands I need is bootrec /fixboot, but the command says “access denied”, which is supposedly linked to Windows 10 1709 installation media…. However 1703 is supposed to work…

I don’t know how to check the version that is on my new boot USB… nor how to get the 1703.

Where to go from here?

Why is nothing easy… sigh

Thanks for your kind help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
USB installer version will be 21H2, its always the latest version of windows 10

boot from installer,
on screen after languages, select repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type diskpart and press enter
Type list disk and press Enter. Now pay attention to the disk number and identify which one is the boot disk. Usually, it is Disk 0; if not, find the disk number in your own case and remember to type the correct one in the following relevant steps.

Type select disk 0 and press Enter.
Type list volume and press Enter. Now pay attention to the volume number of the EFI partition.
Type select volume N and press Enter. Also, type the one in your own case instead of N.
Type assign letter=N: and press Enter. N: can be replaced by any drive letter that is not taken by any partition. Remember which drive letter you assign here for it is rather useful in the rest steps.

Type exit and press Enter to leave diskpart.

Now type N: (the drive lettered you just assigned) and hit Enter.

Type format N: /FS:FAT32 and hit Enter.

Type bcdboot C:\windows /s N: /f UEFI and hit Enter.

Now repeat the process of running the bootrec /fixboot command, bootrec access is denied Windows 10 should be solved now.

copied from https://www.partitionwizard.com/clone-disk/bootrec-fixboot-access-is-denied.html

Solution

RyderS

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
That didn’t work either… but thank you.
Eventually I found a Windows 10 disk that worked… however it did not solve the problem.

I eventually solved the problem by checking the boot order of my drives.
Changing my drive to GPT somehow seems to have reordered the boot priority, which I didn’t think was possible… but it happened.

When I put the drive with Windows OS in front, all issues were resolved.

Thanks for your kind help.

Reactions: Colif
Status
Not open for further replies.