[SOLVED] $1,000 - Is it possible to build a decent video editing/gaming rig?

Nitz1234

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I’m thinking probably not, but was wondering how close one could get. I only play Fortnite, but I have a million hours of video I need to work with. None of my previous PC’s could handle working with video, and Fortnite is simply impossible to play on my laptop (I play on iPad). Many years ago I built all my PC’s, but it’s been 10 years and I’m not up on what the appropriate components might be, nor am I up to the task of researching it. Hoping I could get some suggestions here. Thanks.

Solution
That didn’t work. But it would irk me to no end for a brand new motherboard to have unusable SATA ports right off the bat.
With M.2 installed one SATA port becomes unusable. So if a second drive is plugged into that unusable port then it causes trouble.

The last thing to do is to reinstall M.2 SSD for which only thing you need to remove is GPU. First unplug the power conectors and next unscrew it and remove it. Check online video for the step by step process if help is required.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
since you put the budget with a $, I will assume you live in America.

Also assuming you have no hardware that can be carried over/reused I'm giving you a complete build.

Here's your PC.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($180.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.95 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($189.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $973.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-14 23:01 EST-0500

The Ryzen 2700 will be more than enough horsepower for video editing, and the 32GB of RAM is also for that as well.
The RX580 8GB is basically a more affordable GTX 1060 6GB, so you will have no problems gaming heavy hitting titles at medium preset 1080p 60fps, and definitely won't have a problem with Fortnite.
The case is just to be flashy, and also is well made and designed with room internally for all your parts and easy to build in.
The 500GB SSD is for video editing and OS with main apps, the 2TB HDD is for games, other large programs, large files, (all files really) and for taking your videos after they've been worked on and archiving them and storing them on the drive.
The power supply is top notch and has more than enough wattage for overclocking both the GPU and CPU.
The motherboard is where while not the fanciest and doesn't have the most extra features, has all that you need and will get the job done.

Last edited:

Nitz1234

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Sounds great! Much obliged. And this will be a solid savings over purchasing something from a PC maker’s pre-built system? I will probably have to purchase a Windows 10 license.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
you always save when building yourself, especially since you get to pick and choose what you want to spend more or less on per component.
you don't have to buy Windows 10 if you don't want to, all you get with activating a copy of Windows 10 is the removal of the watermark in the bottom right corner of your screen, and desktop personalization. which is just you being able to make the wallpaper change around to different ones in a folder, and manually specify the color scheme instead of Windows automatically picking the color for you based on the wallpaper you equip.

But you can still download an image then right click>set as background.

You can download and install Windows 10 completely free by creating a bootable flash drive using Media Creation Tool.
Make sure to have a flash drive that is at least 8GB.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Can buy a key afterwards if and when you feel like it, either directly from Microsoft for a pretty penny, or by trying your luck with a grey market key from other places online.

Nitz1234

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Which components are the most important for gaming and video editing, respectively? For those components, what product(s) would be the next logical step up in performance from those you listed (just in case the wife allows for a slight increase in budget)?

Also, I will need a monitor. Any recommendations for a solid, won’t break the bank, gaming monitor.

Already I think I’m in trouble. :)

g-unit1111

Titan
You can download and install Windows 10 completely free by creating a bootable flash drive using Media Creation Tool.
Make sure to have a flash drive that is at least 8GB.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Can buy a key afterwards if and when you feel like it, either directly from Microsoft for a pretty penny, or by trying your luck with a grey market key from other places online.

The aftermarket keys are NEVER a good idea. They can and most likely will get you in trouble. Either buy the $100 OEM Windows or don't.

But if you want a decent performing rig with an OS license you could always get this:

Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Arc Midi ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg Business)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $980.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-15 11:25 EST-0500

That's $1K with an OS license and I subbed a 1060 6GB instead of an RX 580. I didn't include a mass storage drive but you can always add one.

Here is the list:

Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($60.52 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING 8G Video Card ($477.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.10 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1089.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-15 12:02 EST-0500

This is extremely powerful(50-60% more powerful than GTX1060 or RX580 combo) and completely worth spending bit extra.
If you wanna save few bucks skip HDD for now as you can easily add it later.
Initially you don't need to activate Windows and can run Windows10 for as long as you want without the need of activation. You can activate it later.

Nitz1234

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Point taken on the OEM Windows. Will transfer my current copy if possible, but if not will purchase.

Per my most recent post, which component is most important for gaming, and which is most important for video editing? Is there any product(s) worth bumping up to if I had an extra $50 for each?

Also, can you recommend a nice gaming monitor in the $200 - $250 range?

Thanks!

Point taken on the OEM Windows. Will transfer my current copy if possible, but if not will purchase.

Per my most recent post, which component is most important for gaming, and which is most important for video editing? Is there any product(s) worth bumping up to if I had an extra $50 for each?

Also, can you recommend a nice gaming monitor in the $200 - $250 range?

Thanks!
CPU for Video editing and GPU for gaming. If you have $50-100 extra I recommend going with the setup I listed as it is extremely powerful for both purposes.

Here is the monitor:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LXMwrH/acer-xfa240-bmjdpr-240-1920x1080-144hz-monitor-xfa240-bmjdpr

Nitz1234

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I guess it is 650W - CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply & New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
However, be aware that the build provided by King Dranzer actually costs $1,120 and the price you see above inlcudes mail in rebates which don't help you at the time of purchase, and also, that price is based off retail, and doesn't inclide taxes.

For that build you will be paying about $1200 for it up front for everything in it.

The build I provided excludes mail in rebates and using the B&H retailer on a couple is items saves you $20-25 in taxes and was built in mind trying to get you what you want/need while assuming the $1000 was a more or less hard-ish budget that you were trying to not go over much after taxes and such.

But these lists should just be used as more of a guideline to help you pick out the best options for yourself.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
yes. that's just a Windforce card.

This just so happens to be the cheapest option on PCPP for the 2070 as well.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932091

--EDIT--
Nevermind, lol, the one I just linked you seems like the same one you are talking about for $400 and some odd dollars.

But if you are asking for an alternative card for the looks and size then refer below to the EVGA card.

Costs $500 flat out of pocket.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
You could save yourself a nice chunk of change going with an R7 1700 instead of the 2700. Performance hit is negligible.

Although, to be fair, the motherboard selection I would suggest for good OC'ing would be more expensive than what it suggested. I wouldn't necessarily suggest that board for the 2700 either if you are looking for a good overclock. R7 pull a lot of juice and need exceptional VRM for a stable clock.

Nitz1234

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
yes. that's just a Windforce card.

This just so happens to be the cheapest option on PCPP for the 2070 as well.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932091

--EDIT--
Nevermind, lol, the one I just linked you seems like the same one you are talking about for $400 and some odd dollars.

But if you are asking for an alternative card for the looks and size then refer below to the EVGA card.

Costs $500 flat out of pocket.
What is the difference between the two Gigabyte cards?

Nitz1234

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
What is the difference between these two cards aside from the second one not being available at a reasonable price (it was at $477, but now sold out at Newegg; $600+ at Amazon)?

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 WINDFORCE 8G Graphics Card, 3 x WINDFORCE Fans, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6, GV-N2070WF3-8GC Video Card

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING 8G Graphics Card, 3 x WINDFORCE Fans, 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6, GV-N2070GAMING-8GC Video Card

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
There is nothing different.
One is labeled GV Gaming and the other is simply labeled Windforce.

They are the same card.

The gaming one might have a very slight pre overclock applied out of the box, but not enough to make a difference.

But they are the same card, same GPU, same pcb, same power phases, same cooler, same layout on the pcb, literally same everything.

Nitz1234

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Thanks. Can’t help but notice a significant number of really bad reviews on Newegg and Amazon regarding these cards. Can’t afford blowing $500 on something that has a tendency to die. Can you provide any additional insight? That’s a little disconcerting for an expensive piece of hardware. Is there something comparable that is less tisky?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks. Can’t help but notice a significant number of really bad reviews on Newegg and Amazon regarding these cards. Can’t afford blowing $500 on something that has a tendency to die. Can you provide any additional insight? That’s a little disconcerting for an expensive piece of hardware. Is there something comparable that is less tisky?

I wouldn't put much stock in consumer reviews like this. All GPUs have a tendency to die -- they're high-power components -- which is why the warranties. The only GPU you won't find horror stories about online is one that just came out.

Nitz1234

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I ended up getting the ASUS ROG GeForce RTX 2070 DirectX 12 ROG-STRIX-RTX2070-O8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card for $500. However, although PC Part Picker says the Corsair TX650 is compatible, I can’t find a way to hook up an 8 and 6 pin connector that is on the video card. Do I need to have all 14 pins connected? Is there some other way to adequately connect it using this PS?