executionist

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
My internet provider is offering me three different adsl modem/router packages.

1. 5dbi
2. 2 x 3dbi
3. 3 x 3dbi

Which one of these would have the maximum range? I know that the first one can only support speeds of upto 150mbps while the other two can offer 300mbps. For my requirements 150mbps is enough, so would the first option be the best for me because it is the only 5dbi antenna in my choices?

I also have an 8dbi antenna that I am using with my current router. So if I get the 2 or 3 antenna version of their modem and replace one of the antenna's with this 8dbi one would that be better or bad? (I can attach it, they are all reverse SMA, I checked.)

Solution
The reason for the number of antenna is mimo which give 300 or 450. Problem is your PC card also needs multiple antenna to take advantage of it. Some laptops do have 3 antenna in the back of the screen but most USB dongles only have one.

Mimo is suppose to increase the range because it take advantage of reflected signal. How much it actually help is up to a lot of debate, it does not seem to help a real lot in your average house.

Antenna may or may not matter. You can legally transmit only so much power which is a combination of radio power and gain from the antenna. Many have the ability to detect the antenna and adjust the power so they always produce the max. Some always transmit lower power assuming you are going to replace...

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
The reason for the number of antenna is mimo which give 300 or 450. Problem is your PC card also needs multiple antenna to take advantage of it. Some laptops do have 3 antenna in the back of the screen but most USB dongles only have one.

Mimo is suppose to increase the range because it take advantage of reflected signal. How much it actually help is up to a lot of debate, it does not seem to help a real lot in your average house.

Antenna may or may not matter. You can legally transmit only so much power which is a combination of radio power and gain from the antenna. Many have the ability to detect the antenna and adjust the power so they always produce the max. Some always transmit lower power assuming you are going to replace the antenna with something like a 9db. Then there are others that will allow you to exceed the legal limit. If you were to replace them you want to replace all of them for the mimo to work best.

Solution