1.2ghz Athlon temperature too hot???

thegr81

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Hey guys, I just built a new computer on friday and I am curious as to whether or not it is running at a reasonable temperature.

My BIOS says that it is running at 55C which seems a little high. I have a Cooler Master heatsink which is supposively AMD approved for 1.3ghz. Anyone have an opinion?

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
My recommendation is to get rid of that cool master crap and put in a Global Win FOP38. Or do I mean FOP32 (which one is the bigger one, i have a bad memory with low bandwidth :smile: ).

- I don't write Tom's Hardware Guide, I just preach it"

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I use a fop38, but I was thinking the only difference between the two is a 6800rpm fan. The fop32 is quiet, and the fop38 sounds like a cessna 150 doing a run-up?

G

While we are on the 1.2Ghz chip cooling. is the Thermaltake Golden Super Orb any good?

The Goldent orb is currently doing a great job on my overclocked P3. I'm running Top tempreture of 49Deg in any games or benchmarks. (current CPU is 700@933)

I am wondering of th4 Super Orb is as effective on Athlons

"This message has been printed on 100% recycled Pixels, Keep your system Beautiful, Recycle"

G

That's kinda high. You should be able to get that thing down to under 40 degrees. Get yourself a GlobalWin FOP32 and some Artic Silver. Take some isopropyl alcohol and remove the thermal goop that comes on the FOP and put a thin layer of Arctic Silver on the CPU. That should make your CPU very happy. Check out the Arctic Silver web site for application instructions if you buy some.

Zenthar

Distinguished
What kind of cooling do you have in your casing? Proper air circulation is necessary inside the casing or whatever HSF you put on your CPU will only push more or less hot air on it. I also get around 55C under load, but my PC is rock stable under Win2K and performs wel for games. Since I have the 3 years warranty on my CPU, I don't really care if my CPU burns out before that (and after that it will worth about 50$ anyway!!!). Try adding some fans, t can make quite a difference, My temp dropped from 60C to 55C just by adding a frontal intake fan with low airflow.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They should make a "Is my AMD CPU too hot" forum.

At least make a chart for people who enter forum so they dont ask this question on a daily basis.

Other alternative AMD puts thermal protection in the CPU and save the world gigs of wasted bandwith.

mousepotato

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2001
Generally, the titles of these threads, makes it very easy for reasonably intelligent Intel owners to skip over them. Wait, is that an oxy-moron (reasonably intelligent Intel owner)?

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
SPAM, SPAM, SPAM ,SPAM,...

Tom needs to do a article on how many licks it takes too, err what temp range AMD cooks, DOH!, operates at.

G

55C is slightly over what my 1.1 @ 1333 runs at under heavy load, which is 53. I'm using an OCZ Monster 2 w/quicksilver thermal grease. No case cooling.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you are not overclocking you are fine.

If you are overclocking or intend to overclock in the future then you may wish to go with a better cooler. You can do a search in these forums to find people's opinions on various units. You can also check review articles like the ones here at Tomshardware, or Anandtech, AMDZone, or any of the overclocking sites.