Question 1-2s screen lag every few minutes. Can't work out why. Please help.

sentur

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
Every 1-5 mins my cursor, input or refreshing the UI (right clicking, loading a webpage or opening a menu will hang) will cause an input lag of approx 0.5 - 2s. I'll start typing or right click and have to wait that 1-2s for the text to finish appearing on screen or the right-click dialogue to appear. Its an issue that I've only more regularly over the past 6 weeks. How can I determine what's causing the issue and fix it?

--

I suspect it maybe an issue to do with my graphics card or graphics drivers, but have no proof for this. I've updated to the most recent version of the Nvidia GeForce 3000series Game Ready Drivers 496.13.

So far I've tried the following:

• I thought it may have been Malware Bytes auto web protection. I disabled that for a week or so and still had the same issue.
  • I've tried using a different web browser, Chrome > Firefox. Still no change.
  • I have a Logitech Unify keyboard MX Keys and the MX Master 3 mouse. I've tried connecting both by Bluetooth and tried various USB ports on my computer and screen for the Unify dongle. There's no improvement.

Computer Specs (decent specs and only 10 months old)
The computer is used for design and 3D. No gaming.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 12-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
  • Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
  • MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  • GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB
  • Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ G
  • Windows 10 Pro > 21H1
    • OS Build 19043.1237
    • Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Ralston18

Titan
Likely some app that is getting launched at startup or perhaps later on via Task Scheduler.

Look in Task Manager for what is being launched at startup. Anything there that you do not recognize can be googled and hopefully identified accordingly.

May have been some bloatware product that originally was "quiet" but later updated itself and changed its' behavior.

Or something could be buggy and/or corrupted. Possibly trying to update, backup something, or "phone home" and causing the lags.

Another place to look in in Resource Manager. Use Resource Manager as well to observe what the system is doing or does when the lags occur.

[Note: Use both Task Manager and Resource Monitor but only one at time.]

Plus you can use Process Explorer (free from Microsoft).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Install and open Process Explorer and just watch for a few minutes. Then do whatever (right clicking, loading a webpage or opening a menu, etc.) that causes the hangs.

See if some process "jumps" to the forefront - even if briefly. May provide some additional clues.

sentur

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
Thank you. After a little investigation, I think the issue is to do with Windows Fonts and my Font Manager. I've stopped Font Base from running at startup and deactivated all the fonts I had set up through Font Base and the issue has pretty much disappeared. Generally more responsive and input boxes seem to be working much better. A few other issues like the Windows Search bar in the Start / Task Menu now work and in Explorer. So I suspect this was causing an issue system-wide.

I need to activate fonts on a regular basis for work, so still, need to find another solution.