[SOLVED] 1 2TB Seagate FireCuda 520 or 2 1TB 970 evo?

eathdemon1

Reputable
Oct 30, 2016
building a new pc (for gaming), and I am diciding on storage. yes I know ssds cost more, but dicided to skipp out on a normal hard drive in place I am going about 2TB of storage. so which is a better set up to go with 1 2TB Seagate FireCuda 520 or 2 1TB 970 evo?

Solution
The Seagate FireCuda has a better TBW and MTBF ratings, which means it is rated to last longer. Significantly longer, with the 970 EVO having about a 1,500,000 MTBF and the FireCuda having a 1,800,000 MTBF, as well as a 3600 TBW (Terrabytes written) rating compared to only a 600 TBW on the 970 EVO.

The Firecuda 520 is an enterprise class drive as well, and has a much faster random AND sequential read and write speeds than the 970 EVO. Hands down the better option. However, if the price of the two Samsung drives is less AND if you can get the same usage from two M.2 NVME drives rather than one, and have enough M.2 slots for them, then either option is satisfactory.

I'd opt for the Seagate myself.
The Seagate FireCuda has a better TBW and MTBF ratings, which means it is rated to last longer. Significantly longer, with the 970 EVO having about a 1,500,000 MTBF and the FireCuda having a 1,800,000 MTBF, as well as a 3600 TBW (Terrabytes written) rating compared to only a 600 TBW on the 970 EVO.

The Firecuda 520 is an enterprise class drive as well, and has a much faster random AND sequential read and write speeds than the 970 EVO. Hands down the better option. However, if the price of the two Samsung drives is less AND if you can get the same usage from two M.2 NVME drives rather than one, and have enough M.2 slots for them, then either option is satisfactory.

I'd opt for the Seagate myself.

Solution
All of Samsung's current SSDs use either the MJX or Polaris, or some variant of them (MKX, Phoenix), exception being the T7's Pablo which is DRAM-less (not sure if it's Polaris-based). No other manufacturer uses them; there is no need to list proprietary controllers.