1.3 Gig 200 FSB vs. 1 Gig 266 FSB

Anvil

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2001
Frys is having a sale through 4/17.

You can get an IWILL KK266 with a 1.3 GHz 200MHz bus for $329 or a Epox 8KTA3 with a 1.0 GHz 266 MHz bus for $269.

I like Frys because it's close to my house and I can return stuff.

Which package would you suggest?

G

How 'bout a 1.33 266 /w mobo? that would be the best...Also check prices with pricewatch, it's a good place to start, even if you don't like to buy off of it.

Aklein
Life is hard...Live with it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think you'll be happy with the 1GHz if it is an AXIA core because you can overclock it to at least 1333 without using increased voltage (just a muliplier change).

Suicide is painless...........

Anvil

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2001
Crashman, thanks for taking the time to read my post. Also, thanks for the advice.

I've read alot of reviews of the Athlons and the different types. But I haven't read an article that actually compares the performance between the 200MHz bus and 266MHz models.

When were the 266MHz bus models released? Are they all AXIA? What other cores are good for overclocking? Do you need to mod anything to overclock the T-birds or is it just a mobo stetting?

I can't wait to get a GeForce3. I just want to get a chip and mobo that can feed it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You actually have to look at the chip to see if it's an AXIA. Some motherboards have onboard multipliers, others do not. With the onboard multipliers, you can simply connect all the L1 bridges and adjust the multiplier manually, remember that 133 is much better than 100 (266 and 200 for DDR numbers). So you would be better off with the 1000 with the 100 (200) bus because you could set it at 1333 simply by setting the BIOS at 133 (266) FSB.

But only the newer AXIA and AVIA cores will go that high without going to higher voltages and extreme cooling.

An obvious option here is to modify the L7 bridges on the 1000/133 (266) chip to make it 10x if there are no multipliers in BIOS, or to use the multipliers that are there and the pecil trick on the L1's.

I hope this is all the information you need to confuse you.

Suicide is painless...........