~1/4" Vertical Lines Through Display

dedog2003

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
Last night I was playing League with a friend when suddenly my computer froze and these vertical lines appeared on my display. It's not just feint lines over the picture; it completely blocks any picture on 1 monitor and the other monitor goes black. After the first crash last night I manually restart the computer and the resolution is messed up with feint lines over the display so I restarted from safe mode again and the lines were gone for about 5 minutes and then the crash happened again. The weird thing was this time I could still talk to my friend on Teamspeak but wasn't able to see any picture because of the lines. This happens every time now and generally within 30 minutes of starting the system I get the lines. It's as though the computer is running fine but something with the display has crashed.

I have tried unistalling and installing fresh video drivers. I have unplugged everything and taken the video card out. I dusted the card and the PCI slots out then put the card in a different PCI slot and the issue still happens. Any ideas on what this could be?

I've attached some pictures of what the lines look like. They have been 2 different shades of yellow now and they can appear on either screen.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
AMD Radeon HD 6800 1GB
Gigabyte Technology X58A-UD3R
Intel 4xCore i7 960 3.20 GHz
12 GB RAM

axhd2f.jpg

e6ae52.jpg

xqb6sg.jpg

Solution
That is what my 5870 looked like when it over heated. Check to see your GPU temps after you let it cool down for a while. Make sure the fan is spinning. And in the same train of thought as the poster above, try another GPU in your system. An older one, or one from another system (it's a good idea to always a good idea to save a GPU you replaced that works, for moments like this).
That is what my 5870 looked like when it over heated. Check to see your GPU temps after you let it cool down for a while. Make sure the fan is spinning. And in the same train of thought as the poster above, try another GPU in your system. An older one, or one from another system (it's a good idea to always a good idea to save a GPU you replaced that works, for moments like this).

Solution