Question 1.46V on ryzen 1800x with mb giga x470 gaming 5

Nov 25, 2019
hello !
this has been hapening since i bought this combo arround 1 year ago
my specs are
Ryzen 7 1800X
gigabyte x470 aorus gaming 5 wifi
g.skill 2x16gb 3200hz (not working as it shoud but this problem is previous to having this rams)
gpu rtx 2080 asus strix OC

the problem is that when i enter the bios the voltage on the CPU its always between 1,44v and 1,46v
is this normal ? for me it appears to be super high but i dont know if maybe this is normal since my pc has been working to this for like a year now without any problem
i dont have any OC on the CPU but this is another weird thing, the stock values are 3.6ghz but in bios it always shows as if its running at 3,7 altough i have it set to 3.6 in bios settings..

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It's on the high side, but not too unheard of - it depends on the specific implementation by any board vendor.
You could undervolt it yourself, and set to something a little more reasonable (<1.4V should be fine for stock operations).

However, first and foremost - ensure you have the latest, up-to-date BIOS installed.

As for your RAM, anything >2933MHz was quite tough to achieve on first gen Ryzen.
Updating the BIOS might assist there, but you're likely limited by the architecture.

Nov 25, 2019
yes, i tought it was high but i didn''t wanted to undervolt it because i wasnt sure it was the right thing to do, as i said it has been working fine for about a year already but i dont want to kill my cpu or mb by leaving it like that for long
and yes i am aware of the nightmare that its finding ram that works on my 1800x i have already given up on that, i cant even get my ram to 2400 or anything that is somewhat stable and i've tried everything.. now just waiting to save to buy a 3rd gen ryzen...
the bios is up to date and this is happening with every bios i have upgraded so.. i don't know if leave it like that or to undervolt it...

hello !
my specs are
Ryzen 7 1800X
g.skill 2x16gb 3200hz (not working as it shoud but this problem is previous to having this rams)

the problem is that when i enter the bios the voltage on the CPU its always between 1,44v and 1,46v
is this normal ? for me it appears to be super high but i dont know if maybe this is normal since my pc has been working to this for like a year now without any problem
i dont have any OC on the CPU but this is another weird thing, the stock values are 3.6ghz but in bios it always shows as if its running at 3,7 altough i have it set to 3.6 in bios settings..
It's not "super high", up to 1.5v is quite tolerable. As for those frequency variations, in BIOS it's in a kind of limbo, only in windows and using Balanced power plan when you set minimum CPU to about 5% will it drop much lower, probably somewhere less than 2GHz at idle.
Also when you see those frequencies, most probably it's on one core, not all of them. You could see all of that better if you use HW Info to check.

hello !
my specs are
Ryzen 7 1800X

As others have stated, a tad bit on the high side. I would monitor it in ryzen master under load and make sure it doesn't go any higher with load line calibration. That said, you should be okay as long as you use a robust cooling solution.

Is this setting possibly the result of an auto-overclock?

Nov 25, 2019
As others have stated, a tad bit on the high side. I would monitor it in ryzen master under load and make sure it doesn't go any higher with load line calibration. That said, you should be okay as long as you use a robust cooling solution.

Is this setting possibly the result of an auto-overclock?
well at least i can stop worring about it breaking out of nowhere, i dont think it's an auto OC i have been messing around a lot with the bios because or the problems with the ram but because of thath my bios has been reset several times it would be weird if the OC would continue every time that i reset the bios (it has been like 12312314512431 times since my RAM problems habe been happening for the last 3/4 months...)
TY

well at least i can stop worring about it breaking out of nowhere, i dont think it's an auto OC i have been messing around a lot with the bios because or the problems with the ram but because of thath my bios has been reset several times it would be weird if the OC would continue every time that i reset the bios (it has been like 12312314512431 times since my RAM problems habe been happening for the last 3/4 months...)
TY
Of course, if you're using a cooling solution less capable than our Corsair H100i v2 at its maximum fan/pump settings, overheating could become a problem. AMD predicts that most customers should see somewhere between 3.9 and 4.1 GHz across all cores, and suggests you stick with a 1.35V ceiling if you want your chip to last. Although core voltages in excess of 1.45V are considered sustainable, they'll have a more pronounced effect on longevity.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-4.html
Like I said, you can do it. Just make sure you are using a very robust cooling solution.

1.4V is the ceiling for memory overclock voltages. Higher speed DDR4 need these voltages. Standard DDR4 (ie: 2666) need closer to 1.2V or sometimes 1.35V.

Nov 25, 2019
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-4.html
Like I said, you can do it. Just make sure you are using a very robust cooling solution.

1.4V is the ceiling for memory overclock voltages. Higher speed DDR4 need these voltages. Standard DDR4 (ie: 2666) need closer to 1.2V or sometimes 1.35V.
yes i know it can be usable, but this is the thing, i don't wanna do OC on the cpu because i dont have that robust cooling solution(i just have a semi-good cpu cooler for now) besides that i just don't think that i need it for the use i give to the pc, thats the reason behind me wanting to lower the 1.46V of the CPU (the temp when gaming doesn't go up 60/65c in winter and now that it is summer where i live it's around 70/75) my idea is to buy better cooling it's just that the prices here are not what you have in the US hahaha

TRENDING THREADS