Question $1,500 4K Gaming build with add'l $500 in harvested parts, please check me

adam61

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Build is linked below.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RqyfJ8

I will be selling my 2x980ti's to get about $400 of this money back so my true budget is about $1,200 net and this would be below that, and harvesting the parts listed as $0. Can you please check they are plenty of power for this to be a big upgrade? I feel like I will need a new Windows 10 with that many changes, but not sure how strict they are on license. Are any parts completely wrong, way overkill, underperforming, or would be an overly tight fit?

Purchase Date: By End of Month
Budget All In: $1,500 Out of Pocket, hope to get $400 back from GPU sales for net $1,100 (Can go $100-200 higher for a big change in power)
System Usage: 4K 60hz Gaming, Surfing Net, Watching Movies in 4K
Monitor Needed: No
Need OS: I think so? This is too many changes to save it likely
Overclocking: Moderate
SLI: No breaking away from it 980ti's have been rough in 4k in games without support

Upgrading because wife needs new PC and I can move main parts and give her a big upgrade while harvesting some on mine to save cost while I MUST see a stronger performance in 4K gaming and overall power.

Thanks in advance for the expert advice :)

adam61

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
At 4k, you'd get better frame rates with a Ryzen 3600 and RTX 2080. In addition, the case I chose has really good airflow, yet is cheap. Notice the front of the case is basically open for the includes fans to reach their full potential.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wqYrzY

I wouldn’t be against a new case at all. But it’s one of the “harvested” parts to make it that much more economical. If that one just sucks at this point though, it makes sense. I’m not against Ryzen. I looked at. 3700x build as well, it didn’t seem to be winning most benchmarks and I’ve had a lot of intel’s in a row. And for GPU I’d LOVE a 2080ti, but if you are talking about the 2080 base it looked like the super matches or beat it in a lot of benchmarks I checked. Am I looting at it wrong? I do want to get this let right because gaming at 4K it’s always the GPU bottlenecking.

Ah right, I didn't see that the case was a part that you weren't buying. The case you have will be fine.
The 2080 will beat the 2070 Super by a few FPS. It won't be so much more, but seeming as the GPU will still be the limiting factor, you might as well get a slightly worse CPU for the slightly better CPU. The 3700x will bring you over budget, and won't bring much frame rate increase.

adam61

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Ok, so 3600x or 3700x if I'm willing to go over budget is it hands down better than the 9700k? I just can't find it in benchmarks and it's a new world for me as I'm used to Intel and if I have to swap things later with my other machine there's compatibility that helps me out sometimes. But, if it's clearly better I'm willing to branch out ;)

I don't have much time to wait, but should I be looking for a deal on the discontinued 2080 or possibly just a 2080 Super if it's that critical? I believe it comes out this week. Obviously would love the 2080ti, but it's the whole budget in 1 card.

Am I going to see the improvement I expect 6700k to 9700k or (3600x/3700x), SLI 980ti to 2070 Super or 2080 Single Mode, and the 2TB NVME 660p Intel SSD over the SATA Samsung Evo, along with fixing her machine?

The 6700k might actually be good enough at 4k. You might find that what is holding you back is the 980s. I'd suggest just starting off by getting a new GPU. Then if it is performing as should, then problem solved. If it isn't performing much better, then no harm done, just get the rest of the system.
The 9900k probably matches the 3700x, but at 4k the CPU won't be fully utilized anyway, nor would the 3600, which is why it's worth saving on the CPU to invest elsewhere.

adam61

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
The 6700k might actually be good enough at 4k. You might find that what is holding you back is the 980s. I'd suggest just starting off by getting a new GPU. Then if it is performing as should, then problem solved. If it isn't performing much better, then no harm done, just get the rest of the system.
The 9900k probably matches the 3700x, but at 4k the CPU won't be fully utilized anyway, nor would the 3600, which is why it's worth saving on the CPU to invest elsewhere.

I definitely think the 980ti are my biggest problem, but from original post the other problem I have to solve is new pc guts for my wife’s machine. So I’d spend $600-700 there plus the GPU for mine. Since I couldn’t swap the mobo memory and cpu into hers.