$1,500 best build - help needed

davidstone

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
So, here's the deal:

BUDGET: $1,500 tight

I have the software including Windows7 Ultimate 32 and 64, so that is not to be calculated.

System will be used for mainstream home and business work, multitasking with photo/video editing from time to time. NO GAMING whatsoever.

What I already have is:

ATI HD 4670 1GB DDR3 Video Card
WD 750GB 32MB Caviar Black HDD
LG DVD Drive
Corsair 550W PSU

Now, I need help with MoBo, CPU and memory, meaning I'm undecided between the 775 and 1366 rig. I heard a ton of argument pro and con both systems.

My main challenge is that many claim how 3GB DDR3 won’t be enough for 64-bit Windows7 system…?

Many thanks

davidstone

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

As stated above I already have 4670 VGA and will play NO games, so not at all interested in swapping video card. I also stated above, I already have WD 750GB sata HDD and my main question was whether i need more than 3Gb of ram for what I plan to do, so 8GB is certainly useless.

tnx anyway...

8 gigs of ram wont be useless when your doing photo/editing work Anyways.

32 bit OS wont see more then 3.5 gigs of ram IF you need to use more then that go with a 64 bit OS

If you go with a s1366 mobo go 6 gigs if s1156 go 4 gigs

And your post Stats $1,500 best build - help needed So If you dont need a new HDD GPU PSU Should of lowered your budget, Because just because you have that dont meen it is the best for a 1500 dallor system.

And where the hell did i say swap the GPU for games ? i said ( Have you considered a nVidia GPU with CUDA ) Photoshop can use CUDA

You said ( Now, I need help with MoBo, CPU and memory, meaning I'm undecided between the 775 and 1366 rig. I heard a ton of argument pro and con both systems) If you dont want to consider a s1156 as a opition with a i7 860 Then go for a s1366 because the s775 is EOL and they will be phasing it out

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
If you're into professional, heavy duty photo and video editing, 8GB is great. But for occasional editing and general use, 4GB is the sweet spot. 3GB is a bit on the low side, and that'd mean taking a 1366 motherboard, aka a dumb purchase.

I'd recommend:
-Intel i5-750 CPU
-1156 mobo of choice
-4GB of RAM
-A slightly better graka (CUDA can be useful, but that's a bit overkill). But since more and more apps are becoming GPU assisted (even the next generation of firefox and internet explorer), a good graphics card will become a performance booster even in a non gaming machine. No need for a beastly card, but a decent mid-range one is handy. Consider one of the lower mid end Nvidia or ATI ones (GTS 240 or 4850 for example).
-As said above, consider an SSD. It will massively speed up your OS and your most frequently used programs. An intel 80GB one will be the best purchase you've ever thought off. Of course, only do this if budget allows for. Good old mechanical hard drives are slower, but good enough and at a lower cost.