1.5V vs 1.35V memory?

rutski89

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
Could someone explain to me, or point me to an explanation, about what the difference between DDR3 1600 1.5Volt and 1.35V memory is?

Which is better? And just as importantly, how do I check if a given CPU/Motherboard combination supports either?

Solution
The difference between the two is the voltage required to run the RAM at 1600mhz. Despite 1.5v being more than acceptable, a low voltage is generally always better. It means less stress to the CPU memory controller and also allows for more headroom when overclocking.

As for compatibility, there's no way to check and little need as well. All DDR3 memory should work with any CPU/mobo combination. However, you do need to check that the speed of your RAM is supported by your motherboard. Although, 1600mhz should be fine.

benjii

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
The difference between the two is the voltage required to run the RAM at 1600mhz. Despite 1.5v being more than acceptable, a low voltage is generally always better. It means less stress to the CPU memory controller and also allows for more headroom when overclocking.

As for compatibility, there's no way to check and little need as well. All DDR3 memory should work with any CPU/mobo combination. However, you do need to check that the speed of your RAM is supported by your motherboard. Although, 1600mhz should be fine.

Solution

benjii

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010

You should remember that there's no guarantees with overclocking. It stands to reason that lower voltage RAM should allow for more volts, however, it could be that it's pushing the boundaries of what it is capable of. My recommendation if you're wanting to overclock is to do a little research and see what other people have achieved with the same hardware.

linjunjie

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014

hi ,benjii

first sorry for my english

and i have a question now

could the 1.35v ram used for the 1.5v ram slot?

i mean the Compatibility.

i have the 8G 1600 ram but 1.35v , and i want to slot in my mac mini 2012 which need the 1.5V ram, can i do that?

thanks for your reply if you could.

my email address : (email address removed by Tradesman1)

1.35 volt (DDR3L) memory and 1.5 volt (DDR3) memory are identical. Manufacturers simply select higher quality modules and configure them as 1.35 volt nominal.

All DDR3L modules are fully backwards compatible with DDR3, meaning that 1.35 volt memory will run just fine at 1.5 volts. The reverse may be true in some cases, but is not guaranteed due to variation in quality.

dankknightavngr

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
Im using 1.5v on my 1.35v DDR3L board (ECS H110M C3D) And everyone I asked said that my 1.5v Ram will work just fine, Ive been using it for a month now, so far so good. I even OCd it from 1333 to 1600 and im not encountering any problems at all :)))