1.6 Billion Phones, 700 Million Smartphones Shipped in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]vaughn2k[/nom]Then saturation will follow slowly...[/citation]

That's why you always find new markets. (Most) super computers were dominated by mainframes. Mainframes were dominated by PCs. (most) PCs and standard phones were dominated by smartphones and tablets.

If you watch at least the trailer of "H+: The Digital Series" (all episodes found on Youtube), you'll get an idea of what will replace smartphones and tablets.

Nano-computers injected into human brain, with WiFi connection.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I was one of the 700 million. For 2013 I will get the wife a S4 or a note 2. I will have to wait until 2014 unless my note 2 has an accident. Samsung sure moves a lot of phones.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]twelve25[/nom]And probably 1.4 billion will be in the landfill by next year. We need a better phone recycling program if we are going to keep this up.[/citation]

Recycling? Sorry, the free market system does not take in consideration of environmental impacts. Too expensive.

/sarcasm

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]twelve25[/nom]And probably 1.4 billion will be in the landfill by next year. We need a better phone recycling program if we are going to keep this up.[/citation]

I also forgot to mention that with the trend of making everything thinner, manufacturers like Apple are resorting to recycle-unfriendly engineering methods to squeeze every last 0.1mm, such as gluing batteries or soldering everything (no replaceable electronic components).

JackFrost860

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
i'm really suppressed that people are still non-smart phones! like why would you want a dumb phone? That said, smart phone batteries barely last more than a day and phones like my old Nokia lasted a whole week.

G

[citation][nom]JackFrost860[/nom]i'm really suppressed that people are still non-smart phones! like why would you want a dumb phone? That said, smart phone batteries barely last more than a day and phones like my old Nokia lasted a whole week.[/citation]

It may seem that everyone you know has a smartphone, but most people just can't afford a smartphone, even the cheap chinese knock offs are too expensive for a lot of chinese citizens

Status
Not open for further replies.