[SOLVED] 1 Apple Cinema Display, 2x Inputs? MiniDP Switcher/Hub/KVM?!

Jan 11, 2019
Hi All, I've been researching this question for 2 hours now, but have been unable to come up with a conclusive answer. I have an Apple Cinema display with a Thunderbolt/MiniDP port cable input. It doesn't have any other input options.

I have a MacMini and a Macbook Pro Retina that I would like to use with this display. Rather than constantly unplugging cables from each machine, I would like to use a device along the lines of the classic KVM's, VGA Switchers, etc.

I've had a long look around but cannot find any device that will do 'native' MiniDP Switching. There's HDMI switchers, VGA, USB-C, etc.

I was wondering if the below frankenstein monster of a cable/adapter arrangement would work?

(< Arrow indicates direction/flow of video signal)

[Apple Cinema MiniDP Male] < [MiniDP Female to Female Cable] < [MiniDP male to HDMI Female] < [HDMI Male/Male Cable] < [HDMI Switcher - All Female] < 2x HDMI Inputs from MacBook and MacMini

I suspect that there is going to be limitation of directionality somewhere here, so I wanted to run this past some more knowledgeable people before I start sinking tons of money into it.

Thank you for you time and knowledge!! :)

Jan 11, 2019

Thank you for the suggestion. I simply didn't realise that that was an option. Let me explore this to see what equipment I can buy. :)